Insurance Companies purchase of Police Radar guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pontiacgp said:
that's a nice idea, I never thought of the police scanner

do your research first on if its legal to carry in the car, even if it is, you could still run afoul of roscoe's who don't understand. It also helps that I'm a card carrying amateur radio operator and can flip it over to those frequencies if needed :mrgreen: ... which makes it 100% legal everywhere.

Then there's Canada and I have no idea.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
GP403 said:
pontiacgp said:

do your research first on if its legal to carry in the car, even if it is, you could still run afoul of roscoe's who don't understand. It also helps that I'm a card carrying amateur radio operator and can flip it over to those frequencies if needed :mrgreen: ... which makes it 100% legal everywhere.

they see me rollin, they hatin...they be patrolling trying to catch me riding dirty...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree totally with G_body. People are morons. I too was a professional driver, as in mandatory driver safety classes all the time. I see all day long what the instructors said to NEVER do. But lets get real. On board snitch computers, radar, red light cameras, are all about safety. Safety as defined by the amount of money said insurance companies pay out. So if you are dumb enough to let them install an on board snitch, don't be surprised when your rates go up. YOU think you are a wonderful driver, but I'm betting the last time most folks drove perfectly was their road test. Ever sit at a stop light and the red light camera just keeps flashing like crazy on the other side? Well there is a BIG white line at the right-turn-on-red-after-stop sign, but they slide right past it and- SMILE! Your ticket is in the mail. But I stopped! No, you didn't. Idiot. Just wait, soon all this will be moot. Soon you will have an EZ-SHAFT transmitter on the car that will not only bill you for EVERY mile, but will let you know that you got from point A to point B too soon, and you were tailgating, lane changing, etc, and here are your fines.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
GP403 said:
pontiacgp said:

It's legal as long as the communication is not encrypted. If it encrypted it's considered a private communication. The law is you can't do something for personal gain or obstruct police with the information you have received.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
This is nothing new I heard the Lidar 2000 called the geico gun back in '03 or '04.Heres an interesting Geico note also, I just recently had to take a trip through Viginia and the rest areas up I-81 had signs saying this rest area sponsered by Geico with a pic of there lizard spokesman.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i have no problem with people doing 80 on the highway, cars are much safer than when the speeds were designated and the cars are in control at 80 as long as the driver is competent. the problem with safety on the highway is the lane shifters that decide weaving is effective and safe when its just honestly stupid.

Nov 4, 2012
pontiacgp said:
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
pontiacgp said:
Here they will nail you 10 kilometers over the limit. That's 6 mph. The insurance companies don't care of you get nailed for 10 or 30 over. I know of someone who got 3 tickets in about a year and 1/2, all for 10 kilometers over and his insurance went up almost 2 grand. That is bs, It's a scam and that's all it is

it's the price you pay for having a lead foot. not sure how that's a scam if you dont speed. i get what you're saying and i dont disagree but there is a flip side to this, the only way to win the game is to not play the game. run a red light and you get a ticket, speed and you get a ticket. i dont see many people getting pulled over for speeding who were actually not speeding. i dont see people getting pulled over for running a red light when they didnt.

if you speed and you get a ticket and your rates go up you scammed yourself. you might as well stay home and have a bonfire in the backyard and throw your check book into it.

I don't consider 6 mph over speeding. If you get into the car in the morning and didn't have the best sleep would you consider yourself impaired?

I don't either. I just had a buddy get a $110 ticket and 3 points on his license for 8 mph over the limit. His insurance payment jumped, and now he can barely afford to drive.

Nov 4, 2012
Peter said:
i have no problem with people doing 80 on the highway, cars are much safer than when the speeds were designated and the cars are in control at 80 as long as the driver is competent. the problem with safety on the highway is the lane shifters that decide weaving is effective and safe when its just honestly stupid.

Now 80 in a 55, I have an issue with. I don't mind 5 or 10 over, or even if your in your show car and find an open stretch and gun it real quick, but if your doing 80 and there is other traffic around, you deserve a ticket. How do I know the driver is competent? Is there a competency test an officer can issue like a sobriety test to see if you are free to go at 80 or you aren't competent enough and deserve a ticket?

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I live in PA and work in NJ. I got clocked doing 63 in a 45. NJ has the point system and pa doesn't. NJ doesnt release any.of that info to pa. Pa or my insurance didny find out about anything and the insurance.stayed the same....I know if you got a DUI in Ohio and live out of state, you loose your driving privileges in Ohio but your "home" state won't find out. I had friend in college find this out the hard way.

It's all about the money for everyone, except you.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
hurst1979olds said:
I live in PA and work in NJ. I got clocked doing 63 in a 45. NJ has the point system and pa doesn't. NJ doesnt release any.of that info to pa. Pa or my insurance didny find out about anything and the insurance.stayed the same....I know if you got a DUI in Ohio and live out of state, you loose your driving privileges in Ohio but your "home" state won't find out. I had friend in college find this out the hard way.

It's all about the money for everyone, except you.

It also depends if the state you get a fine in is an interstate compact state, or if your home state is. The interstate compact members share traffic violations you receive in their state with your home state. If your state has the same violation ie speeding, the other state will tell your state you got a speeding ticket and how much you were over. Your state then takes the violation and applies it like you got it in your home state. If the state is not a member of the interstate compact, they will not share the info with your home state. Google Interstate compact agreement. In my home state we have a point system, but speeding tickets are not on it. You can get as many speeding tickets here as you can afford here. Good luck with your insurance premium though.

I have always called radar detectors early ticket warning devices. If you get stopped and have one, your almost gurenteed to get a ticket. Police scanners can work, but make sure your state allows you to have one in your car. A lot of police agencies don't use their radios much now days. They use a lot of computer aided distaching or CAD now days. It operates on 3G or 4G like a cell phone on their in car lap tops.

People around here drive like morons just like every where else. We are a low population state, and the weather does get really bad here in the winter time. Still, people set their cruise at 80 in a snow\ice storm, and can't figure out why they went into the ditch or wreck badly. Its rocket science, I know. I was following a young female on the interstate, on my way to work this week, and we were literately doing going between 95-100 MPH when I looked down. What was she doing? You guessed it on her fricken smart phone. I backed it down to 75 and set the cruise. Speed limit is 75 on the interstate here. I just set my cruise at 75 and don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor