intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You did not state what cam or heads you are running from what I have read. A bigger cam will need the RPM while a smaller one can make do with the standard Performer. I run a Performer on my 355. If an engine can make too much low end torque, this one does! I would sacrifice a little bottom end for some more top end with the RPM if I got another deal like I had on the Performer ($15 at the U Pull It off a 75 Camaro). However, I don't think the difference is worth $150+ for a new one. See what you can find used that is in good condition. If you find one, make sure to look closely at the thermostat flange and the water passages and where they seal to the gaskets as these seem to be the points of damage to look out for. The aluminum corrodes in these places and can make sealing impossible without adding additional material to fill in the pits. You also want to check for stripped threads or chipped ends of any sealing surfaces. Stuck steel or brass fittings or studs and bots are the other possible areas of problems in a used intake. However, if you shop right, you should be able to find a serviceable dual plane intake for around $50.

Also, be careful what the original application of the carb was! If it is from a significantly larger engine than what you have, the idle feed restrictions will be too big and it will idle as rich as a Holley 3310. Run the model number of the carb through Google and see what it comes up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor