Intercooled GN's or EFI 5L 5 spd Notchback Mustang's, which were faster bone stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
How are 15 second mustangs vs 13 second buicks separated by tenths? I guess many tenths, kind of like saying my yearly salary is many $5....
I am not counting the turds. The fastest stock GN's were high 13's and the fastest fox 5L Mustangs were high 13's. The point is a good example of each is a tight race. Stories of one rolling past the other one "like it was standing still" does not count in my book. The slower car was either not racing, not running right, is a fake or can't drive.

never said it did. I said buick underrated horsepower both for insurance and to get green lighted to improve the power plant. It is well documented gm killed many cars and projects because they would outshine the vette. Goes all the way back to the Pontiac banshee that they not only killed on DeLorean, but had the clay molds shipped over to chevy after to heavily dictate the c3 body style. Read up on it.
Not sure were this came from but the Grand National ended production because the G body ended.

True, but if you read all the posts in this thread, there was mention of Foxbody guys pointing to supposedly stock GNs losing to supposedly stock GTs on the track. Your ex potential doesn't change, but winning or losing a match up certainly does.

The car that is faster is always faster. Winning or losing a race doesn't dictate which car is faster.

But did you do that in 1988? No, you didn't.

Maybe you're not old enough to understand or remember but tires in the 1980s sucked. Not as bad as tires in the 1960s, but compared to today, they sucked.

You could probably take any 80s car, assuming it hasn't lost compression or suffered mechanical breakage, and, using modern tires you will out perform what it could do 35 years ago.
A fox does not need a racing tire to run in the 13's. No it wasn't 88 when I ran my car, probably 90's and it was on 225 60 15 Motomasters All Seasons.

Same reason cars from the 1960s run faster today.

Yet, still doesn't change the fact that the GN was a faster platform.
Not sure what 60's car have to do with this. At any drag strip in the 80s, 90's or now. It was super rare to see a musclecar run on 1960's bias tires. Like I said. Screw the magazine quotes for times. Go to the track and report what you see. Most 60's musclecars will be running 10's to 13's and little of that is from tires.

As for a faster platform. Let's let how many LS swaps in to foxes answer that.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No there is two different people, I assume, on two different sites claiming high 13's for 5L, it must be true. Yes, those Motomaster tires are street tires, even more impressive. Like I said, Mustang's won many street races against their GM rivals and lost a few. I believe both my BIL, I rode in the 71 Chevelle, it was pretty quick. Who knows if the Mustang even knew Dwayne was racing him with GN and if they knew how the drive. Pretty sure all the tricks were done prior to trade in on that GN. GN's get the Legend status, 5L get a good motor in an ugly box stigma. The Mustang had a 20 year ugly period IMHO.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
... GN's get the Legend status, 5L get a good motor in an ugly box stigma. The Mustang had a 20 year ugly period IMHO.
I'm with you on the Fox box looks, id rather drive a slug that looks good and has class, than a cracker jack box with a wing, but I'm happy I don't have to make this choice, the fox will always be running after the GN

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
As for a faster platform. Let's let how many LS swaps in to foxes answer that.
Seeing lots of ls swaps into mustangs these days.

Don't see many at all into TRUE gns. Lots of people doing ls swaps black out the trim and throw a turbo hood on a plain regal though. Often with repop gnx louvers, sometimes with the flares for more meat.

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Had a 85 LX 5.0 that I swapped a 89 EFI motor/ 5spd trans in along with multiple turbo regals. My 85 Mustang was slightly faster on the street than my 85 T-Type (non-intercooled turbo) but any of my 86's (intercooled turbo) cars were slightly faster/quicker than the Mustang when stock. The big difference came when modified. I took a bone stock 86 GN, put drag radials, made the wastegate adjustable, K&N filter cone filter, race chip, race gas and gutted the cat and it dropped from 14.0-14.2@97-99mph down to 12.55@105. That was a few hundred dollars to drop 1.5sec and pick up over 60hp.

People jump to the LS because the cost to build a good 109 block with a forged rotating assembly good heads just doesn't make sense if all you are after is a fast car. Stage 2 and TA Blocks get even more expensive to build. The Buick V6 can make awesome power but dollar for dollar you are better off with a LS unless you really need to keep the V6 mystique. Parts availability for a lot of stuff is bad right now but even worse for something low production like the Buick. Want some aluminum heads? Roller cam?

I know if the motor I currently have (forged crank, forged pistons, cnc ported heads) goes I seriously will think about not putting another V6 back in.

Reactions: 2 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
When I had my Turbo Buick, it was an 11 sec street car that always made me smile. I was always nervous when I put my foot in it that it was gonna grenade. The thought of how much I’d have to spend to fix a motor with a hole in the block was trying.

I also had an ‘86 Mustang that I beat like it owed me money and never had that feeling.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
When I had my Turbo Buick, it was an 11 sec street car that always made me smile. I was always nervous when I put my foot in it that it was gonna grenade. The thought of how much I’d have to spend to fix a motor with a hole in the block was trying.

I also had an ‘86 Mustang that I beat like it owed me money and never had that feeling.
But, see, that's the thing all those n/a v6 haters never understood.

ALL the 1986/87 v6 cars got the 109 block engine and 8445 heads. ALL.

And a sizeable portion of those, not half, but more than just a handful, also had rolled filled cranks. Only thing missing were the 2 dot rods.

So if you were buying the $50 or $100 pull outs from the sbc guys, you had a endless supply of cheap replacement engines. All you did was buy a one time drill and tap die to put an oil return boss to the lifter Valley.

And since the na v6 was so weak, nothing was strained internally, and you usually had nice clean standard bored and journals.

Sort of the argument ls guys try making today.

• Winner

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
But, see, that's the thing all those n/a v6 haters never understood.

ALL the 1986/87 v6 cars got the 109 block engine and 8445 heads. ALL.

And a sizeable portion of those, not half, but more than just a handful, also had rolled filled cranks. Only thing missing were the 2 dot rods.

So if you were buying the $50 or $100 pull outs from the sbc guys, you had a endless supply of cheap replacement engines. All you did was buy a one time drill and tap die to put an oil return boss to the lifter Valley.

And since the na v6 was so weak, nothing was strained internally, and you usually had nice clean standard bored and journals.

Sort of the argument ls guys try making today.
Those were the good times. I pulled multiple 109's out of junk yard NA regals for cheap. The problem now is we are running out of those blocks. Good 109's are fetching $600+ for a bare block. You are easily over $10k for a built forged 109 long block using Chinese cranks and rods. I am shooting for 600 wheel on mine; if it fails, the LT4 erod package sure looks good...

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If I grenade the 4.1 setup I'm putting in my Cutlass I am going full insanity mode. LV3, the 4.3 V6. Or maybe 4200 Atlas.

1640291416034.png

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Those were the good times. I pulled multiple 109's out of junk yard NA regals for cheap. The problem now is we are running out of those blocks. Good 109's are fetching $600+ for a bare block. You are easily over $10k for a built forged 109 long block using Chinese cranks and rods. I am shooting for 600 wheel on mine; if it fails, the LT4 erod package sure looks good...

Ugh, I recently binned a virgin 109/8445 motor. Who knew they brought real money?

Ditto. Fed that thing 30psi daily and it just didn't quit. I sold it before it blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor