GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I live out in banjo country, and our local Cable/Phone/Internet company has fiber strung out to my house. 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up. Not terribly cheap, but at least it is reliable.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I live out in banjo country, and our local Cable/Phone/Internet company has fiber strung out to my house. 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up. Not terribly cheap, but at least it is reliable.

Nothing personal, but I hate you a little bit right now.

• Agree

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
...and it's all going to get worse with the repeal of net-neutrality.

some communities have had enough of Cox, TimeWarner, et. al. and developed their own internet services. Chattanooga is a good example with EPB and 10 gigabit service. But the state legislature is about to screw it up by giving Comcast and AT&T around $45 million to build out their slower systems (literally 1000 times slower) over the community built service EPB.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know if this will help but my internet has been slow, watching a video it would stop paying waiting on data to download. The wifi started messing up and would frop my cell phone. The dumb company just wants to trade out the modem/router for one just like it. It's a business internet so they do not permit me to buy a modem. I bought a wifi router today so I am using the modem/router as a stand alone modem. My internet has noticeably speeded up and my wifi has no issues.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Guys, I stumbled upon something last night that seems to have solved my internet problems. Where I live the only speedy internet is wireless but it costs so damn much! Well, I got really lucky and found an inexpensive prepaid unlimited data plan on AT&T. It's a data only plan designed for tablets but if you know what you're doing it can be used on other devices. $30 a month for unlimited 4gLTE data. If you've got an AT&T or unlocked GSM tablet with a new SIM card go here to sign up: https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/ShowLogin.action?source=ECV4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=buyasession Choose Unlimited MB with auto renew for $29.99 per month and it'll automatically take the payment out every month so you don't have to worry about a lapse in service if you forget to renew at the end of the month. AT&T can slow it down after 22GB if the tower you're on is congested but when the congestion clears up your speeds should go back to normal. Where I live is sparsely populated so I doubt I'll have that problem. Besides, for $30 a month it's worth that risk to me. I'm really happy about this. The only other options I had were some crappy DSL or Satellite, either of which I would have been disappointed in.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
I dont have AT&T as canada hasnt had their services since the late 1990s, but from a computer techs perspective, heres a few things to consider.

A. Your speed may be capped more heavily by the ISP. (I heard yall americans got that net neutrality stripped)
B. If WIFI is being used as opposed to direct ethernet, then you may have interference.
C. If the internet is being supplied through a combo modem/router, you may want to consider running a dedicated wireless router through ethernet, and disabling the integrated one that the ISP provided with the modem. Cause ill be blunt, those combo modems are TRASH.

And lastly, while i doubt this is the case, D. You have malware or a bitcoin mining rootkit hogging internet bandwidth.

• Informative

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
Another thing you can try is pinging a webpage and seeing how much of a delay you have in terms of a response.

This is a screenshot i took just now pinging google. Your response times (ms) should match or be very similar to mine.

im80ep.png

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Another thing you can try is pinging a webpage and seeing how much of a delay you have in terms of a response.

This is a screenshot i took just now pinging google. Your response times (ms) should match or be very similar to mine.

im80ep.png

Screenshot_20180109-033302.png

Screenshot_20180109-033319.png

This is by far the best option available to me. I think I can get by on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor