Intrepid fan wiring help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I just recently went to the salvage yard and picked up my next project for my GP. I picked up a set of dual electric fans out of a 98 Intrepid and a radiator hold down plate out of a 82 Cutlass. I think i can figure out the mounting options but am a little confused on the wiring portion. I think the fans are dual speed, So what are you guys using for a control. I currently don't have a/c but will probably add it in the future.So do i need a progressive voltage controller or a on/off at a certain temp controller. I prefer to piece something together as i have a bunch of relays, switches, circuit breakers, etc etc.....I seen a wiring schematic from a member but if i remember correctly he is using a Mark VII fan which is a 2spd single fan. Who is using the dual fan set-up and how are you controlling them? Any kits made at home or what to buy? Please help! :D
Thanks

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I know somebody has done this before here..... :lol:

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
I am running a dual fan setup on my 01 wrangler. I used a "CSR" setup. Includes a gauge and can be set to come on at different temps. It works really well. I also have a painless performance dual fan controller on one of my camaros. It was cheaper and works just as well. Both came with really simple instructions and were realatively easy to install.

Hope this helps!
--Jason--

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
What temp does it either kit kit come on/off at? I see that some are higher temps then others. Thanks for your input.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Heres what you need:

2 relays, one for low speed, one for hi (I like the ISO 5 pin)

2 screw in temp switches, single pin, normal open, 1 @ 180/190 and 1 @ 210

Your fans will have 3 wires, 2 power, one ground, you need to determine low/hi yourself.

The rest is simple. I'll use the pin #s from the ISO 5 pin relay

Relay 1: wire 86 to switched 12 v, 85 to temp switch 1 (180) 30 to 12v un switched and 87 to the low speed wire(s) on the fan(s).

Relay 2: wire 86 to switched 12 v, 85 to temp switch 2 (210) 30 to 12v un switched and 87 to the hi speed wire(s) on the fan(s).

Ground both fans.

This will turn on the low speed @ 180/190 and hi speed @ 210.

Hope that helps!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
1985Diablo said:
Heres what you need:

2 relays, one for low speed, one for hi (I like the ISO 5 pin)

2 screw in temp switches, single pin, normal open, 1 @ 180/190 and 1 @ 210

Your fans will have 3 wires, 2 power, one ground, you need to determine low/hi yourself.

The rest is simple. I'll use the pin #s from the ISO 5 pin relay

Relay 1: wire 86 to switched 12 v, 85 to temp switch 1 (180) 30 to 12v un switched and 87 to the low speed wire(s) on the fan(s).

Relay 2: wire 86 to switched 12 v, 85 to temp switch 2 (210) 30 to 12v un switched and 87 to the hi speed wire(s) on the fan(s).

Ground both fans.

This will turn on the low speed @ 180/190 and hi speed @ 210.

Hope that helps!

Thanks 85Diablo , Where do screw the temp switches? Should i use circuit breakers or fuses? I have a box full of relays plugs and such so i think i could wire something up. Is there a visual wiring schematic?

87National said:
There is a really good write-up on this in the Do-it Yourself section on montecarloss.com.
Is there a link i can see?
Thanks everybody for your help..

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
Temp switches screw into the heads or intake. I'll post pics when I have them. I used a 30amp inline fuse, but a breaker works too.

Don't have a wiring schematic online, sorry.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the link. I read that the cutoff year for the fans on the intrepid fans was 97. Mine are from a 98 and they have 2 black wires 1 brown and 1 pink. When i hooked up either the pink or brown the fans were seperate and when i added a black they were on high but when i hooked up one black wire to positive and the other to negative they were on low :?: how would i hook them up?? Did i get the wrong ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor