IROC Wagon Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yeah the cargo floor. I want to also do some sound deadening. I guess I'll give it try.

Thanks.

FYI, I just did the floor in my 83. When I took it out I thought it was a pain in the butt. Putting it back in was a little easier. I remover one of the tailgate cables and that gave me enough room to scoot the pan over just enough to slide it right back in.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Honestly, I don’t know what the right answer for the Belt Line (Dew Sweeps) is. I probably opened my mouth prematurely as I have done numerous times. I intend to purchase some moldings, but I haven't decided which ones and from whom. I've been doing the research just haven't made the decision yet.

Here’s the thing, the following photo is of a set on eBay currently (27 November 2016). No. they’re not a perfect copy but may be massaged into something close? Again, to my earlier point, if the manufacturer can do this, why then can't they do it exactly like the original?

eBay item number:331917175862

[/URL
]

This set looks like the real deal but it’s a stock photo. I’d need to see an actual photo of the stuff before I would commit.

eBay item number:391495609998

upload_2016-11-27_19-59-7.jpg

And finally, we have the parts that GbodyParts.com is selling. Below is their spiel. These probably have the best potential but again, until you see an actual photo, it’s all just a pipe dream.

Aftermarket 78 - 83 Chevy Malibu Belt Moldings Dew Sweeps

$139.95

upload_2016-11-27_19-59-7.png

[URL='http://www.gbodyparts.com/images/Interior2/Elcaminomonrecarlodewsweeps.jpg?osCsid=b4b6bde389dbba3acd9dc9cd5ce04360'] upload_2016-11-27_19-59-7.jpg
[/URL]
[URL='http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ssbrewskyaz/media/Belt%20Line%20Detail_zpswslig7yi.jpg.html'][URL='http://www.gbodyparts.com/images/Interior2/Elcaminomonrecarlodewsweeps.jpg?osCsid=b4b6bde389dbba3acd9dc9cd5ce04360'] upload_2016-11-27_19-59-7.png [/URL]
[URL='http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ssbrewskyaz/media/Belt%20Line%20Detail_zpswslig7yi.jpg.html']
After years of promoting only GM seals we have found a few manufacturers who were able to get the closest possible quality of original GM seals. While not 100% dead on there are some items that we have taken to shows & watch the customer pick an aftermarket seal over the GM. I have had a few experts in our fields say that is about as close as your going to get without being GM.

We believe GM is GM and has made these seals for 25+ years. What we are doing is giving you, the customer, options. While we do not guarantee these seals, we thought enough of them to carry them. We have installed & tested them and we feel for the money the seals are tough to beat.

So, if you can't swing the price of the New GM seals and are looking for a suitable replacement, look no further. The seals we are carrying are manufactured by 2 different companies we have chosen after a lot of research & development and we feel confident about this product.

** Once installed RETURNS CAN NOT BE ACCEPTED. We suggest "dry fitting" every seal for fit and finish before gluing the seal in.

If you do not feel comfortable tackling this job yourself we advise you get a trained professional.

Price is 49.95 for the Inner's only

Outer belt moldings $99.95

Full set inner & outer front is $139.95

I won’t have the actual time to make the calls for another two weeks so if anyone can do the prework, post some photos, I’d love to just be able to plop down the cash.

Scott. …

Stay Thirsty my Friends. …
[/URL][/URL]

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for the reply on this Scott. I was hoping you had discovered a manufacturer that made perfect OEM repops or had news that one of the existing companies redesigned what they were making.
Ive seen the ebay sweeps in the past. It looks like theyre made with a little thicker material so they could cut the ends off on a slight taper. Not exactly like originals.
The stuff that G Body parts sells has been on their site for a little while. I contacted them through an email when I started shopping for a set for my car. Odd business, they have no phone number but if you send them yours someone will call you back. I got a call a day or two after I sent the message.
The guy that called me was an employee. He said theyre made like original. I asked if they could send or text me a clear close up photo of the ends. They wouldnt. That being said, I bought the regular chopped off set from Mikes. Theyre on the car already. Do they look perfect ? Nope. But they look better then the ones that were on the car before the paint job. I dont know if the body shop that did the car 15 years ago did this but someone used an inner sweep on the right front door. All the rest were dried out OEM.
Looks like I'll just have to live with these until someone makes a better version.

Thanks again for posting the info !!

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, we'll know soon enough. Brian told me the outers were damned near perfect matches for the originals. That works for me, I have numerous reasonably good interior pieces. They're supposed to send me a price for just outers tomorrow and I will purchase. If I don't do something, I'll be thumb racing for the entire month of December. ...

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, here's the thing, I spent a little time working on this because I still can't stomach the cut ends or the torpedo ends one of the companies is doing. That said, I sent the information for the original GM supplier so Brian could follow up on it, he did. So here's the deal, the tooling to make the ends right costs some coin and no-one thus far has wanted to make the investment. The guy that's making the parts for Brian used to work at the supplier when they were making these very parts for GM so he knows the deal. Still a waiting game for me on this front.

Good news is my motor is ready to install and if it quits raining and being cold here, I'll get after it. ...

Keep Thirsty my Friends, Warm but Thirsty. ...

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks for the update I am dealing with what's available at this point. Since I am blacking out the bead it's no biggie, but if I were to keep it, it does look crappy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you forever sweat the details, will you ever complete or freely enjoy the result? Why not run what you have/need until you find what you want?

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was also resigned to the fact that it was between using what was available or nothing. Like Jim, I painted the beading black and it tends to disappear somewhat. I honestly do not care for the chopped off ends, but WTF...at least the stripping is in place and it's functional.

Scott, I'm happy to hear that you're going forward and putting the engine in.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, this thing is too nice not be "finished".

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Scored two aluminum bumpers this week for my wagon. No, can't tell you what they are, well I could but I'm not going to, but I hope to be able to show soon. Starting to get the bug back.

Got my big truck torn apart changing the interior color to red and grey instead of waaaaay too much grey. Another couple of weekends, I should be ready to work on the car again. Still waiting on the right belt moldings but have a lot to do before that will be holding me back. I guess I'm doing things out of order on this deal. ...

Scott. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor