IROC Wagon Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 Goon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2018
MN
Awesome! I wish I had that kind of time, money, patience, and "freedom"...from wifey! I have a '79 wagon. A previous owner swapped in a 305 TPI + T5 5 speed from a '91 T/A, a posi rear axle from an '87 GN but with 3.42 gears, and ugly (on this car) 90s Camaro wheels. I love wagons! I got it last July and immediately tore apart the interior so I haven't driven it much yet. Ironically, I just took delivery of my new clutch kit and tachometer TODAY.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Awesome! I wish I had that kind of time, money, patience, and "freedom"...from wifey! I have a '79 wagon. A previous owner swapped in a 305 TPI + T5 5 speed from a '91 T/A, a posi rear axle from an '87 GN but with 3.42 gears, and ugly (on this car) 90s Camaro wheels. I love wagons! I got it last July and immediately tore apart the interior so I haven't driven it much yet. Ironically, I just took delivery of my new clutch kit and tachometer TODAY.
Sounds good, man. Looks like you were having way too much fun there. Nice wagon.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Man you have patience. Glad you found some NOS stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, here's a little update on the IROC wagon. Got my rear glass hinges and components back from the plater. Yep, it's a little thing but it's all the little things that eventually add up to be the one big thing. I didn't pay for show chrome but compared to the factory finish, they might as well be show chrome.

As previously reported, I have three of the four NOS belt line moldings. That's not the part that's holding me up, although I likely won't tear it back apart until I have all of the pieces.

The motor ended up being painted the wrong color so that's a redo as well. The reason GM paints the engines black today is to keep the leaks and seeps camouflaged. In my personal opinion, small block Chevys are orange. Just sayin. You paint yours whatever color you like, I like mine orange.

Still tossing the idea around to swap the OE gauges out for some more current and more reliable pieces. I like the Pontiac dash layout but the gauges are just kinda basic. Nothing wrong with basic but as long as I'm flushing money, I might as well flush some on the dash and instrument cluster. Decisions, decisions. ...

Stay thirsty my Friends. ...

Attachments

• DSC04859.JPG
    DSC04859.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC04865.JPG
    DSC04865.JPG
    882.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Happy
Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, here's a little update on the IROC wagon. Got my rear glass hinges and components back from the plater. Yep, it's a little thing but it's all the little things that eventually add up to be the one big thing. I didn't pay for show chrome but compared to the factory finish, they might as well be show chrome.

As previously reported, I have three of the four NOS belt line moldings. That's not the part that's holding me up, although I likely won't tear it back apart until I have all of the pieces.

The motor ended up being painted the wrong color so that's a redo as well. The reason GM paints the engines black today is to keep the leaks and seeps camouflaged. In my personal opinion, small block Chevys are orange. Just sayin. You paint yours whatever color you like, I like mine orange.

Still tossing the idea around to swap the OE gauges out for some more current and more reliable pieces. I like the Pontiac dash layout but the gauges are just kinda basic. Nothing wrong with basic but as long as I'm flushing money, I might as well flush some on the dash and instrument cluster. Decisions, decisions. ...

Stay thirsty my Friends. ...

Scott, the chrome job looks great !!! Someone in your area or did you send them out ?

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, they didn't really say but I suspect they were done in Tucson or Mexico. Nobody runs a decent chrome joint in Phoenix that I know of. Almost as bad as California. Sorry, I take that back, not even close. For what they cost, I should have driven to Mexico myself and stayed a week while they were being done. ...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
hey look awesome, thats for sure. Plating isn't cheap though!

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor