Is anyone else shocked/not shocked or confused about the current G body market and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have been watching the Turbo Buick prices lately as a good friend of mine has been looking for a turn key 86-87 GN. Prices have really blown up on them in the last year. A few years ago you could get a nice driver for $10k and a finished turn key car for $15 to $20k. Now a turn key car is $30k and goes up from there depending on originality and low mileage. I am glad I bought my 87 GN 20 years ago when I could afford it. I am also glad I bought my bone stock original 78 Malibu when I did. They 78-81 Malibus have become really hard to find and when you do find them; they are an over priced, clapped out, poorly modified sh*t box.

Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I should give this guy a call tomorrow and offer him 70000 pesos = $3600 USD.
He doesn't even know what engine he has , its just going to get worse before you no it .

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Keep in mind that there have to be buyers for all of these cars, and at all price points someone has to be willing and financially equipped to pay for them. A great deal of these things sit unsold for a long long long time, and eventually someone shows up with a stack of bills (smaller than the listed price) and the seller caves. Because "I know what I have" suddenly turns into "I know what I have in my hand".

No regular person with any sort of good sense is arbitrarily overpaying for a car. It pays to be patient and even let a few slip away. But, hobbies also are not based in logical financial decisions.

• Agree

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
When it comes to G-Bodies, I get the feeling that slowly but steady car-enthousiast switch to them since they are still affordable. Here in Europe they can be registered as youngtimers, as well as oldtimers, especially since the prices of all other us-cars went through the roof like 20years ago. For example: when I started to look around for one, i was also interested in a Dodge Charger from 1969. I didn't buy it because I could't fit it in my garage back then. they price was 7000€ and the car was in a decent shape. running, some patina, needed a little love from a mechanic but all in all a good classic. the following year, Fast and Furious came to the cinemas. and from there on, prices for chunky V8's took off since every damn tuner thought that us muscle cars were the "nec plus ultra" for speeding, dragracing, and so on. Then, a few years later came the economic crisis and people started to invest their money into something more "solid". Oldtimers became the new gold, and european vehicles went from already high prices to exorbitant, even ludicrous, thus pulling the price-tags of us-cars up too. If i wanted to buy the same charger today, i would be beyond 50.000€ if it was in a "decent" shape... i guess, if we wait long enough and keep our g-bodies safe, in the near future, some freaks will pay ludicrous prices for them too. but that's just my opinion...

Reactions: 2 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I have been watching the Turbo Buick prices lately as a good friend of mine has been looking for a turn key 86-87 GN. Prices have really blown up on them in the last year. A few years ago you could get a nice driver for $10k and a finished turn key car for $15 to $20k. Now a turn key car is $30k and goes up from there depending on originality and low mileage. I am glad I bought my 87 GN 20 years ago when I could afford it. I am also glad I bought my bone stock original 78 Malibu when I did. They 78-81 Malibus have become really hard to find and when you do find them; they are an over priced, clapped out, poorly modified sh*t box.

I'm sorry but this simply isn't true.

There is some strange misconception that TR prices are steadily increasing. Yes, guys are asking for stupid numbers but they aren't getting it. With exceptions of course.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/1987-pearl-white-buick-regal-turbo-t.461257/

$19 K was the selling price. Right in line. Nice car.

Now this well known rocket scientist wants big money for this with nearly 100K miles.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/white-turbo-t-with-blue-interior.462730/

You'd hsve to be really dumb or he's a hell of a salesman to pay that when it looks like it needs a complete resto and probably engine and trans work. You'd have $40K in it and it still a $15-$20K car with a lot of miles.

Discuss.......

• Haha
  • Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Keep in mind that there have to be buyers for all of these cars, and at all price points someone has to be willing and financially equipped to pay for them. A great deal of these things sit unsold for a long long long time, and eventually someone shows up with a stack of bills (smaller than the listed price) and the seller caves. Because "I know what I have" suddenly turns into "I know what I have in my hand".

No regular person with any sort of good sense is arbitrarily overpaying for a car. It pays to be patient and even let a few slip away. But, hobbies also are not based in logical financial decisions.
Yup, that's right too. Askin' and gettin' are two different things. That "62,000 mile" Cutlass for $23,500 is never gonna sell in a million years.
On the flip side, it's really easy to get $30k deep in building a G to your personal tastes only to find that you'd be lucky to get $8k on the open market. You may think it's badass but a buyer may have totally different taste and keep walking. That's why stock black '57 Chevys and red '32s on bigs and littles are sure sales. It's a traditional formula that never goes out of style unlike 14" Boyds, easter egg paint, and billet everything. Just because you spent a fortune on your car doesn't mean it's worth a penny more than what you started with. Sometimes actually less.

Edit for case study example: This guy spent what would probably be the equivalent to a years wages (for him) building (ruining) this car. Then he made the rounds to some major Datsun shows on the west coast and threw tantrums when people didn't shower him with trophies. I've spoken with him and he's a real piece of work. Makes his wife babysit the car so nobody will "mess with it" while he wanders around talking sh*t about all the other cars that aren't as "nice" as his. Pretty much everyone hates the car.
Ironically, had he just left it as he bought it, it'd be worth 20x what he probably paid for it. Now he's got something so kustom that nobody would give him anything for it because it would be cost prohibitive to right all the wrongs.
450510.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor