Is anyone else shocked/not shocked or confused about the current G body market and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've always been on the side of keeping/restoring a car back to stock if your eventual goal is to sell it for more. There will always be outliers, but bellcurves don't lie. You will have a larger potential buyer base for a factory stock vehicle. Because the stocker crowd doesn't have to do anything, and the modification crowd sees a blank canvas. Further you get away from mint stock, the lower your interested crowd will be. It's just how it is. Thus prices go accordingly. Use this graph as a guide.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said even the performance versions suck by today's standards, a modern 4 or 6 cyl will beat them badly. So either LS or motor of your choice and a beefed up automatic on a 30+ year old chassis with rust issues. A sbc 305 or Olds 307 can be made to perform but costs dollars especially the latter. On the 60's and early 70's cars you didn't have to put the original motor in the corner on the performance models, other than the GN you do.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I'm sorry but this simply isn't true.

There is some strange misconception that TR prices are steadily increasing. Yes, guys are asking for stupid numbers but they aren't getting it. With exceptions of course.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/1987-pearl-white-buick-regal-turbo-t.461257/

$19 K was the selling price. Right in line. Nice car.

Now this well known rocket scientist wants big money for this with nearly 100K miles.

https://turbobuick.com/threads/white-turbo-t-with-blue-interior.462730/

You'd hsve to be really dumb or he's a hell of a salesman to pay that when it looks like it needs a complete resto and probably engine and trans work. You'd have $40K in it and it still a $15-$20K car with a lot of miles.

Discuss.......

Please show me turn key ready to go (meaning needs nothing) 86 and 87 Grand Nationals forsale $15 to $20k. I have a buddy ready to buy it now

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That said, it doesn't mean that G-body values will be going to the stratosphere anytime soon. The old adage of "never buy a car as an investment" seems to hold true with G-bodies.

Recall, that your sale price MUST be approximately 30K or so just to get back the 1980s sticker price with inflation (My 87 442 sticker price would be $34,140.36 today due to inflation- this is a REAL number). Less than that, it's nowhere near considered to be collectible status. So those $40K GNs are simply asking around buying one new back then. It's all perspective. Sure, you may not lose money, but that's not a win in my book. Better than a loss, but that's it. And who knew G-body turbo cars being also-rans 30 years later? I always thought the GNs were going to be the 63 split-window coupe, or the big-block 67 Chevelle SS 4-speeds of the future. But alas, that ain't happened yet. Even GN's aren't made of gold. There's always the exceptions that people point to, and while I totally get that G-bodies are our passion, stepping back and looking at some rough shot-in-the-dark data may put things into some sort of perspective.

This is why if you're going to tie up 18000 (40k today) for 32 years, buy some dividend stocks. If you invested 18K in 1987 instead of buying that turbo.....let's pick a healthy longtime stock worth buying back then...(speaking of gold, if you bought gold in 1987 with your 18k, you'd have about 45K worth of gold today without doing a thing. So gold is actually worth more than most GN's)...back to the stock. Buy a solid stock like IBM in 1987 (pre-crash) at it's high point in May '87 for example at 40 per share and stick it in your 401k. What would you have today?....only $124,143.80. That's if the dividends were reinvested. Still over 3 times the inflation rate. Even so, if you took your 40K and bought a nice GN today, or any other G-body, you'd still have $84,143.80 left over (less due to taxes, so we'll just round that to oh, 30K in taxes to be safe), so probably you still have over 50K left over.

This would be the smart move. Because people invest in stocks because they want to make more money. It's how it's supposed to work. That's the idea. People that invest in cars to make money...that's some hard *ss work just to break even, let along strike it rich.

I get the fact that this is just scratching the surface. Because I'm not going to be following this idea myself. The passion overrides logic. I'm going to sink 20K or more in my 85 442 restoration. I already paid 16K for it, plus the interest on 4 year car payments. Basically it ate up my 3K down payment. Then I paid 1985 interest rates!!!!!!! That put the real cost right at $20K for that car when it was all done in 1988 (I did pay it off early).

You can call bullshit if you want, but unless you show me the numbers, G-bodies have yet to be considered "collectible" in general. So far, the only one I've seen approach this is the GNX. And by today's standards, they ain't sh*t anymore. But the low production numbers saved them.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
That said, it doesn't mean that G-body values will be going to the stratosphere anytime soon. The old adage of "never buy a car as an investment" seems to hold true with G-bodies.

Recall, that your sale price MUST be approximately 30K or so just to get back the 1980s sticker price with inflation (My 87 442 sticker price would be $34,140.36 today due to inflation- this is a REAL number). Less than that, it's nowhere near considered to be collectible status. So those $40K GNs are simply asking around buying one new back then. It's all perspective. Sure, you may not lose money, but that's not a win in my book. Better than a loss, but that's it. And who knew G-body turbo cars being also-rans 30 years later? I always thought the GNs were going to be the 63 split-window coupe, or the big-block 67 Chevelle SS 4-speeds of the future. But alas, that ain't happened yet. Even GN's aren't made of gold. There's always the exceptions that people point to, and while I totally get that G-bodies are our passion, stepping back and looking at some rough shot-in-the-dark data may put things into some sort of perspective.

This is why if you're going to tie up 18000 (40k today) for 32 years, buy some dividend stocks. If you invested 18K in 1987 instead of buying that turbo.....let's pick a healthy longtime stock worth buying back then...(speaking of gold, if you bought gold in 1987 with your 18k, you'd have about 45K worth of gold today without doing a thing. So gold is actually worth more than most GN's)...back to the stock. Buy a solid stock like IBM in 1987 (pre-crash) at it's high point in May '87 for example at 40 per share and stick it in your 401k. What would you have today?....only $124,143.80. That's if the dividends were reinvested. Still over 3 times the inflation rate. Even so, if you took your 40K and bought a nice GN today, or any other G-body, you'd still have $84,143.80 left over (less due to taxes, so we'll just round that to oh, 30K in taxes to be safe), so probably you still have over 50K left over.

This would be the smart move. Because people invest in stocks because they want to make more money. It's how it's supposed to work. That's the idea. People that invest in cars to make money...that's some hard *ss work just to break even, let along strike it rich.

I get the fact that this is just scratching the surface. Because I'm not going to be following this idea myself. The passion overrides logic. I'm going to sink 20K or more in my 85 442 restoration. I already paid 16K for it, plus the interest on 4 year car payments. Basically it ate up my 3K down payment. Then I paid 1985 interest rates!!!!!!! That put the real cost right at $20K for that car when it was all done in 1988 (I did pay it off early).

You can call bullshit if you want, but unless you show me the numbers, G-bodies have yet to be considered "collectible" in general. So far, the only one I've seen approach this is the GNX. And by today's standards, they ain't sh*t anymore. But the low production numbers saved them.

Guess $200k isn't sh*t by your standards? https://www.foxnews.com/auto/1987-buick-gnx-muscle-car-driven-just-8-5-miles-sold-for-200000
There have been others that sold for well over $100k and the one a few years back for $150k.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I already said there would always be someone to point out any outliers. That is an exception. It's the reason for a bell curve. One idiot shelling out that kinda cash for one particular car, a collectible genre does not make. It still needs a new headliner cuz that original one is crunchy as hell if it hasn't already been replaced. Guaranteed.

Show us some more 200K GN's.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I already said there would always be someone to point out any outliers. That is an exception. It's the reason for a bell curve. One idiot shelling out that kinda cash for one particular car, a collectible genre does not make. It still needs a new headliner cuz that original one is crunchy as hell if it hasn't already been replaced. Guaranteed.

Show us some more 200K GN's.
Well there was this one in 2015 https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...is-is-the-most-expensive-buick-gnx-ever-sold/
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-GNX-184006
Another at $126k https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-GNX-003-212343
Another at $126k from 2016 https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-GNX--189534
The prices are on an upswing. Now that people are spending money again and seeing the results of other sales, the prices are climbing on Grand Nationals.
Here are some recent ones that sold
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-221800
one from last fall https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-212787
one from last fall https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-213674
from 2014 https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-2-DOOR-COUPE-170457
Plenty more on there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor