Tulsa, OK
If your 5.3 is injected, grab a 4L60 or 4L80

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Get a 4L65 or 70 out of a truck. They are a dime a dozen. Yes, it will have to be electronically shifted, but eliminates issues with bolting up and the TV cable. A 4L70 (2007 and up 2wd truck) will live behind a 5.3 with cam and headers.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's not a performance trans, it came out of a regular cutlass. 83-84 Hurst Olds had OZ and 85 442 had OZ performance trans. WOT shift points on that OG trans shifts out of first gear about 3800 rpm. It can be built to shift like an OZ.
Yeah, I later realized after the fact that I flubbed that one...sorry for the misinformation. OZ is the correct code for a 442 trans. :oops:
Believe it or not, I have all this information listed somewhere. I guess i should've referred to it first...oh well.
I'm glad this post brought you out of hiding...:p

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I later realized after the fact that I flubbed that one...sorry for the misinformation. OZ is the correct code for a 442 trans. :oops:
Believe it or not, I have all this information listed somewhere. I guess i should've referred to it first...oh well.
I'm glad this post brought you out of hiding...:p
Not a problem, the OG trans you want is turbo 400 that was an option in a 69 442 and in a 69 Hurst Olds.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You'll need to space the flywheel 0.40 inches back using a crank spacer or a special flywheel. I they did a segment on this recently on "Detroit Muscle" on Spike TV. The biggest problem will be connecting the TV cable. I you don't have the geometry exact you will burn up the trans. TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that is supposed to prevent it if you don't have it right, but they run around $300 or so. You can't use a drive by wire throttle body, you will have to use a cable driven one. I believe there are a couple of companies that make the mounting brackets and bell crank adapter. (Lokar, Bowtie Overdrives)

TCI constant pressure Valve Body OR they have GN valve bodies available. TCI is good and a little cheaper but I really liked the support I got from TransDepot in Florida. Also it'll need a higher rev governor. Got mine from TransDepot for $70.

I would recommend getting with Bow Tie overdrives to get the right geometry and linkage kit. It's a lot of $$$ but at the end of the day you'll have a good banger of a transmission. I for one believe the transmission is more important to the ride than higher horsepower.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You'll need to space the flywheel 0.40 inches back using a crank spacer or a special flywheel. I they did a segment on this recently on "Detroit Muscle" on Spike TV. The biggest problem will be connecting the TV cable. I you don't have the geometry exact you will burn up the trans. TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that is supposed to prevent it if you don't have it right, but they run around $300 or so. You can't use a drive by wire throttle body, you will have to use a cable driven one. I believe there are a couple of companies that make the mounting brackets and bell crank adapter. (Lokar, Bowtie Overdrives)

TCI constant pressure Valve Body OR they have GN valve bodies available. The GN might be a better option because I understand in one respect the constant pressure is good for the clutches, but wears more on the pump. TCI is good and a little cheaper but I really liked the support I got from TransDepot in Florida. Also it'll need a higher rev governor. Got mine from TransDepot for $70.

I would recommend getting with Bow Tie overdrives to get the right geometry and linkage kit. It's a lot of $$$ for all this but at the end of the day you'll have a good banger of a transmission. I for one believe the transmission is more important to the ride than higher horsepower.

Edit: I'm going to revise my statement. This trans wouldn't really be worthwhile even for free. Unless you can do the full rebuild yourself. Otherwise having a shop rebuild it and replace the other parts to change it from being a grampa trans to a hot rodders trans is big $$$. Then you still gave a finicky transmission that is hard to service. For less money you can get an electronically controlled gm 4l60e that is easier to service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor