Is This A Scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So called "certified" checks can take several days to clear. The Nigerian prince scam uses this ploy to screw people over.

I would insist on a cashiers check from a large, well known bank made out only in your name. If they are serious about the car then they will agree and follow through. If not, it proves they are trying to screw you. This link describes the difference and there is more reading on line. Just google it.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/savings/you-can-t-always-trust-certified-checks.aspx

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
US "may" be different but in Canada a certified chq is a good or better than cash. Monies are removed from the account and held by the financial institution issuing the 2 part cheque ( for a fee ). The amount is then deemed " certified ". Chq is made to: and can only be cashed by the receiver. AFAIK it can only be cancelled with both copies of the cheque being presented back to the issuing financial institution.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
At first when they offered a check, I said "cash only, I can't do checks". They did agree to pay in cash but said it would be inconvenient for them. I talked to my parents after and they said certified checks are usually ok, so I called the people back and told them I'd accept their check.

Nov 4, 2012
So I decided to call off the sale. I called the prospects and told them I was no longer interested in selling the car. Not only because I felt uncomfortable taking a check as payment, but also because I actually really like the car, and I know I won't find another one as nice and well maintained as it. I think I'm gonna hold on to it a while.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
So I decided to call off the sale. I called the prospects and told them I was no longer interested in selling the car. Not only because I felt uncomfortable taking a check as payment, but also because I actually really like the car, and I know I won't find another one as nice and well maintained as it. I think I'm gonna hold on to it a while.

That's probably for the best. If you really like the car, you would have regretted selling it. Plus that whole check thing was another reason to be wary. What series BMW is it?

Nov 4, 2012
That's probably for the best. If you really like the car, you would have regretted selling it. Plus that whole check thing was another reason to be wary. What series BMW is it?

Yeah, I've felt regret over selling nice cars in the past, and to be honest, I've never really gotten over some of them. I don't think it was a scam (and I'm not a very naive person) but I still wouldn't feel comfortable without cash.

The car is an E36 323is Coupe. Its super clean. I bought it this past summer from an older guy who'd had it since '05, he babied the hell out of it. It came with tons of great extra parts, good tires, extra wheels, and tons of maintenance records. Its got drilled and slotted rotors, EBC pads, etc. I'm putting a new suede headliner in it today.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Yeah, I've felt regret over selling nice cars in the past, and to be honest, I've never really gotten over some of them. I don't think it was a scam (and I'm not a very naive person) but I still wouldn't feel comfortable without cash.

The car is an E36 323is Coupe. Its super clean. I bought it this past summer from an older guy who'd had it since '05, he babied the hell out of it. It came with tons of great extra parts, good tires, extra wheels, and tons of maintenance records. Its got drilled and slotted rotors, EBC pads, etc. I'm putting a new suede headliner in it today.

I know what you mean. I'd sold a few that I regret getting rid of.

Does that BMW handle pretty good? I've always heard they did but I've never had a chance to drive one.

Nov 4, 2012
I know what you mean. I'd sold a few that I regret getting rid of.

Does that BMW handle pretty good? I've always heard they did but I've never had a chance to drive one.

It handles incredibly. Super low center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution. It sticks to the ground like glue. The ride is a little bit firm, but it's super quiet and I've gotten used to it.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
:worthless:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor