It followed me home ( 87 SS Monte )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rok_OEM

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
Damn you have went to town on this thing. Sounds like your making some good progress and bringing this Monte back to life. Keep up the progress and thank you for sharing>

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Keep me in mind when it's time to launch the other ones... got an itch for a fourth gen to go with the third gen.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm going to take a guess and say that the timing chain is not installed correctly being the distributor is clocked that way.

It actually looks like the cap installed wrong?

Have you followed the plug wires to see where they go?
As I stated in my earlier post, they just wired it where it fell. I reclocked the oil pump shaft and installed it correctly. TDC mark is on the money. I ordered some plug wire separators but I'm pulling the engine anyway.

20170504_155226_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
This morning I stopped at my local O'Reilleys and bought a reman power steering pump with resovoir and new high and low pressure hoses,. It's got a leak somewhere so I just decided to change out the old stuff. Also got front and rear seals and filter kit for the 2004R

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I got busy today. Had to clean the garage just to get my 55 out to get my engine hoist out. Got started after lunch and stayed hooked up. Found my transmission leaks. One coolant line at the trans was loose. I took it off by hand. Three bolts were hanging out of the bell housing and there was a gap. The flex plate bolts were all loose and one was missing. They had no star washers installed. The flex plate was broken too. I knew it was. I could hear it from inside the car. transmission fluid was all around the convertor and front pump. I separated the trans from the engine and pulled the convertor. There was a chunk missing from the seal. So I'm glad I took everything out. Lots of mix match bolts and that right there drives me nuts. I removed the shifter from the floor. I have no idea what it's out of. The cable was B&M or Hurst but both cable and shifter went in the trash. They ripped a hole in the floor for the aftermarket shifter cable so that area will be cut out and patched with my gas mig. I washed under the car because there is trans fluid everywhere. The engine number is 3970010 so it's a 350 for sure. Tomorrow I'm pulling the top off the engine. Gonna see what pistons and bore size it is. Glad we had a light winter because the coolant was barely green. I flushed the hell out of the coolant passages with my garden hose sprayer. The long block has been painted black and the paint is flaking off the new freeze plugs. So I do believe the engine is fresh.

20170505_181236_resized.jpg
20170505_181323_resized.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I noticed yesterday that my engine hoist was not long enough to grab the pulling chain on the engine. I kinda stretched it and it came forward when I started lifting it. Think I'll pull the front clip because there's no way I'd be able to set the engine back in. If the clip is off might as well replace the body bushings and clean the chassis up. So here goes the might as wells

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I noticed yesterday that my engine hoist was not long enough to grab the pulling chain on the engine. I kinda stretched it and it came forward when I started lifting it. Think I'll pull the front clip because there's no way I'd be able to set the engine back in. If the clip is off might as well replace the body bushings and clean the chassis up. So here goes the might as wells
....and the snowball begins its journey downhill, enlarging as it goes lol!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor