I've got fuel and spark... why won't she start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2017
choke the carb off entirely. hold the butterfly closed or put your hand over the airhorn. If its a big vacuum leak it will start. you may have to adjust how much you choke it off.

Okay, perfect! I'll give it a shot, thanks.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
just be careful, more than one person has gotten burned pretty bad like this. If your car spits back and blows fuel on you, it going to be unpleasant

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got two good fuel streams?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Check the igntition timing, sometimes it can slip.

Phillip

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2017
Slightly embarrassing... turned out my battery was bad. I didn't think of it, because it was brand new in August. I guess sitting while I did the carb job drained it enough that it could crank the motor but didn't have enough juice to run. I charged it between attempts at one point and it seemed okay. When I went to try pontiac guy's suggestion she was flat dead. Put the charger on for a good hour, still wouldn't crank and eventually read bad battery. Good news is, it was under warranty and a new one fired her right up!

Thank you all for chiming in with suggestions. I guess sometimes it is the simplest thing :)

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks for letting us know what you found. I hate threads with no conclusion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Great news. Go do a burnout to celebrate!

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor