jack stands on a G body with a rear sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee-jo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2012
Machesney Park IL
Hi all,

I have an 86 Cutlass with a stock rear sway bar. All the GN's, Monte-SS', and 442 have these bars.

When I jack the rear of the car up by the pumpkin, can I place jack stands on the sway bar (which is under the axle so the stands can't rest directlyon the axle), i have not yet done so, and it's the position where the manuals tell me to do so, but i am afraid that it could or would bend the bar or whatever, so i ask the question!

Thank you all in advance,

Trevor

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The rear bar attaches to the lower control arms...that's a long way to transfer the load. You also don't want to car to shift suddenly when you can get squashed by it falling on you.

Depending upon what your task is, the best place for jack stands on a G is at the four corners of the mid frame, where the channels branch out to the enclosed structure. In the rear, the flat area forward and outboard of the lower rear control arms. In the front, right where it jogs in behind the front wheels. There are big holes there where I put hooks for tie-downs. I usually align the jackstands with the 'T' at the top perpendicular to the long axis of the car.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
When i jack up the rear of my car i will usually put the jack stands right underneath the rear shocks where the end of the lower control arms mount. It keeps the jacks way out of the way, and keeps them far apart to keep it sturdy. I just pay attention and let the car down really slow on the jack stands. Usually if i have the room i will keep the jack under the pumpkin of the rear end just for extra insurance.

tee-jo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2012
Machesney Park IL
thanks, thanks, and ... thanks

I had an 81 Regal with a bar as a kid and I don't remember whether or not i'd used the stands like that. With my Cutlass, i usually do place the stands on the frame corners. I've been painting the underside, and I wanted to look at other options for the stands. I don't intend to leave it on the stands for a long time, but for an hour or two to do some painting of the floors and frame.

Kwik_Cutty88 ... I assume your car has the sway bar and you're setting the jackstands under the axle at the shock/control arm point?!

thank you all for the advice!

Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor