BUILD THREAD Janky- A Mexican Monte Clone

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Here’s a couple of pictures of the monster I have created:
C3D41719-C32B-4CB8-81B6-1EC8441AED41.jpeg

1307EFD0-5C92-44D0-93BF-9C21145A3933.jpeg

In short, it’s a mess. This is just an experiment to see if I can get a little more real estate in the engine bay to mount some of my electrical stuff like an ignition box, fan relays, ignition coil and so forth, without giving up heat and AC.
The AC won’t be as effective since I’ll be using a smaller core, but time will tell.

Reactions: 6 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Small recap of the last month:
Managed to get the lead out of my rear and put on all the front suspension components I had accumulated for the last year. 4660(I think anyway) springs, blazer brakes, taller upper and lower ball joints, new tie rods with solid adjusters from QA1. Even with a “gud nuff” adjustment of the proportioning valve, the rears lock up after the fronts on the dirt and this thing stops way better than I was expecting.
Switched from the Edelbrock to the Holley with a fixed choke and new secondary fuel bowl to replace my improperly made one, and the choke still won’t work properly, so in a box it goes. Need to do some more tuning on it or just buy a new one. The constant fiddling for minor (if any) improvements is getting on my nerves.
I also spent my weekend sandblasting the lacquer painted passenger door and found this:

63B2A8E6-E436-4AE0-8AA6-8E5E8E49A6C0.jpeg

F54FF0C3-5D3C-40AA-8281-66FCE599EEB6.jpeg

80A379A5-5473-4A70-9823-CF2DDCD0E52F.jpeg

Since I don’t know how to braze in fill rod, and this isn’t bad enough to justify attempting to cut the bottom of the door off with my fists of ham at the controls, I’m going to take a play from my grandfather and use JB Weld like body filler, then undercoat the door with a thin undercoating. And pray it lasts a few years. I also need to fix a fender, but that can be sloppy since everything I need to fix will be hidden by the SS fender extensions and the Sport Coupe trim.

Also scored a cowl induction hood from the Parts a Rama: (I now realize I haven’t taken pictures of this yet.)

And I believe that’s it, at least it’s what I remember. The heater box still isn’t finished, but it’s close to being sealed up and ready for paint. I’ll leave y’all with what the car sounds like though 16 inch Powerstick mufflers (courtesy of Mike’s recommendation) and a full exhaust when the video uploads.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just a baby cam 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Curious what makes a Monte Mexican? On the GMT400 trucks there are significant grill and lighting differences, as well as odd interior configurations.
Mexican market Montes came with Grand Prix interior options, GP dash standard, the SS’s didnt come with rear spoilers and they could get 350s as an option (that might be the standard V8, haven’t heavily researched it) and usually had 4 speed manuals, IIRC.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Just seeing this thread, really like all the work in it
Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor