JEGS is building a 87 Monte Carlo Aero Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to beat a dead horse, but this was how my 2+2 looked in 1999, with 255's all around.
pontiacside.jpg

There is a little less top of tire/bottom of fender gap, today, but you'd think in 19 years people would not be satisfied with "inches" between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. Last time i checked there were very few dirt/gravel roads or car swallowing potholes in LA so that's not an excuse.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this was how my 2+2 looked in 1999, with 255's all around.
View attachment 91367
There is a little less top of tire/bottom of fender gap, today, but you'd think in 19 years people would not be satisfied with "inches" between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender. Last time i checked there were very few dirt/gravel roads or car swallowing potholes in LA so that's not an excuse.

They get wild palm saplings popping up in cracks in the roads and curbs. I have seen it in person.

I think the height is due to an overall wheel diameter difference.

Maybe a little. Going with only 25.7" tires like they did is the perfect opportunity to spec out the right offset 9" wheels and put 275/40's in back, which are also 25.7" tall. With $450/set wheels and $500/set tires, they could have spend an extra $40-$150 and made it look a lot meaner and readers would benefit by learning what the correct offset 9" wheel is.

This is something somebody who thinks about stuff would do.

Also, who puts $12,000 in brakes/suspension on a car then puts 7" wide rims back on? My 1990 miata has 8" wide rims.

Maybe a little. Going with only 25.7" tires like they did is the perfect opportunity to spec out the right offset 9" wheels and put 275/40's in back, which are also 25.7" tall. With $450/set wheels and $500/set tires, they could have spend an extra $40-$150 and made it look a lot meaner.

This is something somebody who thinks about stuff would do.

Also, who puts $12,000 in brakes/suspension on a car then puts 7" wide rims back on? My 1990 miata has 8" wide rims.
I was saying that your 255s look a lot shorter...

I think the height is due to an overall wheel diameter difference.

Not really, these cars didn't sit very low when new either. The stock suspension allows for the fitment of 24" wheels with ease.

Also, who puts $12,000 in brakes/suspension on a car then puts 7" wide rims back on?

Good question; maybe more upgrades are to follow in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor