BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Well stop wrecking into sh/t and you won't need them to begin with, Mr. Magoo.
Tell that to the ***** in the c1500 that slammed on his brakes in the rain for a jwalking goose.

Nov 4, 2012
Very rainy today and humid in the garage, but I put a couple more hours into the car today. I got the floor cross brace removed. It went a little smoother than yesterday because the spot welds were easier to find and I wasn't concerned about saving the panel underneath, so I could drill the whole way through with a regular bit instead of a spot weld bit.

Now I can start cutting out the rest of the floor and removing what is left of it. For now I'm gonna try to save the trans tunnel but it may wind up getting cut out, not sure yet. I should be able to drill all the way through the spot welds along the firewall and then plug weld the holes to the new floor pans. Makes sense in my head anyway.

20200627_151823.jpg

20200627_162444.jpg
20200627_162500.jpg

20200627_162455.jpg

Still not entirely sure how im gonna handle this mess. I'm open to any ideas.

20200627_162512.jpg

Does anyone know if the brackets for this brace are being reproduced? Mine were junk anyways, I wasn't gonna bother trying to save them.

20200627_162410.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Unless there's tunnel damage that's not visible in the pics, I see no reason to replace it. I'd strip it, treat it, and send it.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Man, this thing went from 0-full resto in no time! I thought you were just stabbing in a new motor
Gotta make the inside match the outside.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I got those brackets if they hold on the driveshaft loop. I replaced the floor in my build thread. I went about it just like you are. I made a patch on mine for the area thats rusted on yours. Main thing for me was to get all the rust out of the way. So I could come up with a plan.

Nov 4, 2012
Unless there's tunnel damage that's not visible in the pics, I see no reason to replace it. I'd strip it, treat it, and send it.

I think it's kinda crusty. I honestly don't remember what it looks like under all the paint. It is usable though it might be easier to just cut it out than to try to grind it smooth and treat the rust.

Man, this thing went from 0-full resto in no time! I thought you were just stabbing in a new motor

I thought I was too :ROFLMAO: MrSony's right though, I gotta try to make the inside match the outside. Everything that has paint on it is quality body work, its the stuff you don't see that I need to bring up to par. I'm really trying to get away without touching the paint and I think should be able to do that, but I may wind up loading up the touch up gun, just have to see how it goes. The good thing is that usually once I get into this type of work I move pretty quickly.

I got those brackets if they hold on the driveshaft loop. I replaced the floor in my build thread. I went about it just like you are. I made a patch on mine for the area thats rusted on yours. Main thing for me was to get all the rust out of the way. So I could come up with a plan.

Yeah those are the brackets I need. Just like you said, main thing is to get all the rust out of the way so I can come up with a plan. That area in the door jamb is just a little tricky because of the body mount under it and there isn't much access with the frame in the way (although it wouldn't take much to lift it up a few inches at this point... not sure about that though) but I want to make sure that mount is solid. Do you have a link to your build thread?

Reactions: 6 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I think it's kinda crusty. I honestly don't remember what it looks like under all the paint. It is usable though it might be easier to just cut it out than to try to grind it smooth and treat the rust.

I thought I was too :ROFLMAO: MrSony's right though, I gotta try to make the inside match the outside. Everything that has paint on it is quality body work, its the stuff you don't see that I need to bring up to par. I'm really trying to get away without touching the paint and I think should be able to do that, but I may wind up loading up the touch up gun, just have to see how it goes. The good thing is that usually once I get into this type of work I move pretty quickly.

Yeah those are the brackets I need. Just like you said, main thing is to get all the rust out of the way so I can come up with a plan. That area in the door jamb is just a little tricky because of the body mount under it and there isn't much access with the frame in the way (although it wouldn't take much to lift it up a few inches at this point... not sure about that though) but I want to make sure that mount is solid. Do you have a link to your build thread?
Mine didnt make it back to the body mount really. I might have that metal on my parts car. I gutted it last weekend. Ill check and see tommorow. I wont be using it or the dshaft loop brackets.

Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
Mine didnt make it back to the body mount really. I might have that metal on my parts car. I gutted it last weekend. Ill check and see tommorow. I wont be using it or the dshaft loop brackets.

Mine is just creeping up on thr body mount. I dont know if it'll be salvageable or not until I get the body hammer out and start poking at it. If you've got those pieces I sure could use them.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor