Just picked up this 1978, 4sp, radio delete, 305 2bbl

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj1434

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2018
yes and no, it is an rpo code, which gm used to specify a particular component based on the car and year. for example, an lt1 eng in 71 is not the same as in 93 or in 2018.

that may be correct for a g body. but his is an A body. in my 79 service manual, the 4speed manual is listed as the m-20 option.
joe
Its believable to me that M-20 could now just be the designation code for a 4sp. I was just told that M-20 stood for muncie and made sense to me because of the M. What does Saginaw mean? Where Its made?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Correct me if I'm wrong, muncies were built in Muncie, Indiana. Saginaws were built in Saginaw, Michigan.

Fantastic purchase. I love the options.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the site aj. As you have already discovered, there are lots of nice folks here. You have a cool looking wagon there. Do you have any interior photos, especially of the shifter area? GM usually installed the shifter on the factory manual transmission cars pretty far forward, and on the left side of the transmission tunnel. Its almost under the ash tray area, below the radio. That allowed them to offer the manual transmission on vehicles with both bench and bucket seats, without any shifter clearance issues with bench seat cars. I have a factory built 1980 Malibu 2 door V8/4 speed car. I'll post a photo or 2 here that shows the shifter on my car.
As for not having cranks for the rear door glass, that's normal. All of the '78-'88 A/G body 4 door sedans and wagons have fixed glass in the rear doors. On the wagons from '78 up, and on the sedans from 1981 & up, the rear doors have the swing out vent windows at the rear, behind the fixed glass. The hot ticket is if you have a car that has factory power operated vent windows.
As for verifying that its a factory built car, without a build sheet, it could be tough. If it was originally titled and sold in the States, then I'm not aware of any services offered for Chevrolet owners that could help you. If you could trace the ownership of the car back to the original owner, then maybe there will be some paperwork there that could help you. Bit of a long shot though.
Keep us up to date with the progress on your car.

Attachments

• DSCF1986.JPG
    DSCF1986.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF2036.JPG
    DSCF2036.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF2037.JPG
    DSCF2037.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF2038.JPG
    DSCF2038.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Is it just me or are the pictures not loading? I want pictures!

• Agree

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome to the site. Does it have a key release button on the steering column ?

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 225

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I have a 79 GP and the build sheet says m20 for the manual transmission. Yes it's a factory 4 speed car

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
My 79 Grand Am 4 speed cars have a MM4 designation. Not on a build sheet, but on the window sticker (from the PHS)
They are all Saginaw.
Pictures may be of some use. Lever on the column, tach filter on the firewall, etc...
Cool car either way....

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor