Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Screenshot_20210822-062040_Chrome.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The front part engages with the rack gear. That rod is in the non tilt part of the column. When you tilt it the radius in the back of the rack gear allows it to move with the tilt and still function. The red marked part goes inside the rack gear radius the blue marked part goes against the back of the rack gear radius.

That radius part gets broken often, it is supposed to be periodically lubricated, when was the last time you saw someone do routine maintenance on a steering column? Never. If that piece binds when you move the tilt it will just crack. A few more times and it is broken off.

View attachment 182067
This part stays stationary.
View attachment 182068
This part moves with the tilt part of the column.

If this was not confusing enough I can keep trying.
Does the tilt need to be in a certain position to aim and hook that rod piece correctly to the bracket radius ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Stay with the wiring for now we can tackle the column later.

Try disconnecting that purple wire from the white wire try to verify it is the 12Ga purple coming from the firewall connector and touch (since we are not sure what is what just touch it briefly and see what you get) it to the red wire in the connector (+12V). If the starter cranks just splice it to the rest of the purple wire going into the connector and eliminate the pink and white and what ever goes to that relay.

If you are not sure of something ask more questions.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Stay with the wiring for now we can tackle the column later.

Try disconnecting that purple wire from the white wire try to verify it is the 12Ga purple coming from the firewall connector and touch (since we are not sure what is what just touch it briefly and see what you get) it to the red wire in the connector (+12V). If the starter cranks just splice it to the rest of the purple wire going into the connector and eliminate the pink and white and what ever goes to that relay.

If you are not sure of something ask more questions.
I cut the ends of the purple wire and reattached the purple wire altogether and jumped the red and purple wires, and it cranked of the engine/bumped the starter...
20210822_142437.jpg

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I cut the ends of the purple wire and reattached the purple wire altogether and jumped the red and purple wires, and it cranked of the engine/bumped the starter... View attachment 182187
I had a feeling the purple wire had connectivity, glad you were able to make things go OK.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Excellent glad to hear your making progress.

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Excellent glad to hear your making progress.
Ok, so I'll throw in a connector to connect the purple wire back together and that should fix my starting issues with the key... Greatly appreciated guys ❤..

So now, how do I reattach this ignition actuator rod, to completely fix my key ignition problem ?

Do I need to dig into the column assembly behind the lock plate or can I reattach it without digging behind the lock plate ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I don't think you can get that rod back in like it originally was. I would try anyway even if it is not completely engaged in the rack gear it should still turn on and start. When you turn the key on and start the engine that rack gear is pushing against that rod, even without proper engagement it should still do this.

It has to pull the rod back to turn it off that's where you might run into trouble. Might have to reach under and pull the rod back.

Slide it back in, use the key to see if you are getting close to proper, it should push against it. I would have a piece of tape handy so when you get it close enough you can tape it to the steering column body so it doesn't get to squirrely while putting the switch in. Install the ignition switch, put a little load on the switch while tightening the screws on the switch so the rod is fairly tight in there.

See what happens. Try tilting the column through its various positions stop on each and work the key.

If you do get it back in the ignition switch might need to be loosened a little and slid back toward the key to keep that all aligned.

If that does not work it is into the column one goes.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I don't think you can get that rod back in like it originally was. I would try anyway even if it is not completely engaged in the rack gear it should still turn on and start. When you turn the key on and start the engine that rack gear is pushing against that rod, even without proper engagement it should still do this.

It has to pull the rod back to turn it off that's where you might run into trouble. Might have to reach under and pull the rod back.

Slide it back in, use the key to see if you are getting close to proper, it should push against it. I would have a piece of tape handy so when you get it close enough you can tape it to the steering column body so it doesn't get to squirrely while putting the switch in. Install the ignition switch, put a little load on the switch while tightening the screws on the switch so the rod is fairly tight in there.

See what happens. Try tilting the column through its various positions stop on each and work the key.

If you do get it back in the ignition switch might need to be loosened a little and slid back toward the key to keep that all aligned.

If that does not work it is into the column one goes.
I've tried since yesterday to align it...

The rod only pushes forward towards the engine when I turn the key towards me sitting in the drivers seat, opposite of starting it, accessory... But turning the key over to start it doesn't move it at all, and if I pull the rod forward to see if it locked into place, it comes right back out.

I see the track where its supposed to go in, just seems like I can't slip the rod end behind the bracket and on to the bracket radius... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the tilt rod sits above the ignition actuactor rod..
Screenshot_20210822-192432_Photos.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Steering column rack and rod.jpg

That's what that looks like inside the column. The other rod is to the headlight dimmer switch.

If you have to go into the column your going to need a few tools, steering wheel puller, lock plate depressor, snap ring pliers and a way to pull the pins. If your column is loose (the whole tilting part of the column moves around) then your going to need E8 torx socket to fix that. I think everything else is just common tools.

There is a nice write up on the GM tilt column on this site let me see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor