Key not turning over engine...84 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
View attachment 182236

That's what that looks like inside the column. The other rod is to the headlight dimmer switch.

If you have to go into the column your going to need a few tools, steering wheel puller, lock plate depressor, snap ring pliers and a way to pull the pins. If your column is loose (the whole tilting part of the column moves around) then your going to need E8 torx socket to fix that. I think everything else is just common tools.

There is a nice write up on the GM tilt column on this site let me see if I can find it.
I have an aftermarket steering wheel and detachable hub kit attached to my column, so I can access the lock plate pretty easily... 6 screws, 3 bolts, 1 nut... and luckily I have a lock plate puller, but I don't have snap ring pliers, needle nose but not snap ring... what would I need to pull the pins ?

I'm going to try to connect the rod for a couple of more hours without taking apart anything, and if all else fails, I will have to dig behind the lock plate, or wire up a temporary start ignition switches to use until I get the right tools to dig behind the lock plate, and reconnect the rod correctly...
20210821_184408.jpg
20210821_184437.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Sorry not familiar with that steering wheel but it looks like you take the allen head bolts out of the red anodized aluminum part. Don't let the steering wheel just fall there is something in there for the horn, a wire most likely with a bayonet connector going into the top of the steering column. Push down gently and turn 1/8 - 1/4 turn then it will pop out on its own (It is spring loaded).

After that there is an adaptor that will pull like a factory wheel. Splined to mate on the steering shaft with a nut holding it on, has 2 threaded holes for the steering wheel puller.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Sorry not familiar with that steering wheel but it looks like you take the allen head bolts out of the red anodized aluminum part. Don't let the steering wheel just fall there is something in there for the horn, a wire most likely with a bayonet connector going into the top of the steering column. Push down gently and turn 1/8 - 1/4 turn then it will pop out on its own (It is spring loaded).

After that there is an adaptor that will pull like a factory wheel. Splined to mate on the steering shaft with a nut holding it on, has 2 threaded holes for the steering wheel puller.
It's a detachable steering wheel setup, the wheel is removable with the push of a button, the horn doesn't attach. Yea the red detaches from the aluminum adapter with 6 hex screws and in that adapter behind that has the big nut and 3 bolts in it and the Grant 3196 steering wheel installation kit behind the 3 bolt to 6 bolt aluminum adapter.

Behind that Grant steering wheel installation kit is the lock plate I need to dig behind into.

In case I cant get to the actuator due to the potential lack of tools, and need to wire temporary starting switches, how do I do that ? I have two 20 amp switches I can wire to the ignition wires or this wouldn't work ?
20210816_073354.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Once I remove the housing on the ignition of the steering column, I can visually see the bracket radius to attach the ignition rod...

Now I know how far I need to dig into the steering column to get to where I need to be 👍🏾... Thanks again guys, if I have anymore questions, I'll report back to this post.
Screenshot_20210822-221637_Chrome.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looks like you got it. If not there is a way with the switches.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Looks like you got it. If not there is a way with the switches.
How would I wire the switches, as a future reference ? I would like to install a push button starter kit like this someday...
119E9DCF66CFC6C866E3D21373CF9AD243566DCD26D2C656439AD2EA134346CD33CF439C3B9BCD164636900797C1F533.jpg
71lIKU20TWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Would have to combine wires or add switches. Make sure to spread load across both incoming red wires.

Ignition switch:
On the blue connector. Red to pink powers the distributor + . Jump red wire over to accy toggle switch to brown is wipers and radio+ . Red to purple on the pushbutton to start.

Keep them divided like this to not overload the red wires.

On the black connector. Red to Brown w/stripe is alternator field / alt light circuit. Red to orange is most everything else. There is no green on my wiring diagram have to trace it and see where it goes (likely to fuse block - have to determine which circuits it powers).

Red 12V in.

Factory
Pink is distributor , gauges and some lights on only in run key position.
Brown is on in accy and run position - wipers, radio and ?
Brown with white stripe is alternator only in run position.
Orange is on only in run position - A/C, Heater, Power accy. and ?
Green is ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Would have to combine wires or add switches. Make sure to spread load across both incoming red wires.

Ignition switch:
On the blue connector. Red to pink powers the distributor + . Jump red wire over to accy toggle switch to brown is wipers and radio+ . Red to purple on the pushbutton to start.

Keep them divided like this to not overload the red wires.

On the black connector. Red to Brown w/stripe is alternator field / alt light circuit. Red to orange is most everything else. There is no green on my wiring diagram have to trace it and see where it goes (likely to fuse block - have to determine which circuits it powers).

Red 12V in.

Factory
Pink is distributor , gauges and some lights on only in run key position.
Brown is on in accy and run position - wipers, radio and ?
Brown with white stripe is alternator only in run position.
Orange is on only in run position - A/C, Heater, Power accy. and ?
Green is ?
Gotcha... I can use your info to match up with these videos...

But this job will be for another day when I can afford it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor