29. Lt. Green w/ black stripe
30. Lt. Blue w/ black stripe
31. Lt. Blue w/ black stripe
32. Pink w/ black stripe

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ALLDATA doesn't have a 29
And has 26 as "Not Used"

What the hell?

All these pinouts can stay, dont remove any as you will need all of them.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
If you want to remove the heated o2 after the cat its connector blue pins # 20,22,24,26, youll still have to remove the pink wire from its splice and the black one too that lead to those o2 sensors, since pink is going to have power.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
ATL Regal said:
GRAY or CLEAR ECM CONNECTOR

Pin 7 & 8 are "not used", but according to ALLDATA they are the "Input Speed Sensor Low, and Input Speed Sensor High", respectively. Pin 7 has a footnote that its for 4L80E Only, is it safe to guess that the same is true for Pin 8, too?

Pin 14 is Dark Blue, but ALLDATA has it as "Not Used"

Pin 18 is Black, ALLDATA has it as Black/White.

On this connector you are correct 7-8 are not used because those pins are for input shaft sensor and the 4L60E doesnt have such a sensor for this model year.

if your not going to use A/C you can remove pins 1,2,14,25,and 30 all for ac anything else can stay.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
ATL Regal said:
BLACK ECM CONNECTOR

My Pin 6 is empty, ALLDATA has it as "Auxiliary Fan Relay"

Pin 7 is Green, ALLDATA has it as "Not Used"

Pin 12 is Black, ALLDATA has it as "Not Used"

Pin 15 is empty, ALLDATA has it as "Shift Control Lamp"

Pin 6 can be used for an electric fan upgrade if necessary

Pin 7 is for A/C and can be removed if not using.

Pin 12 is probably a ground

Pin 15 SCL not needed

ATL Regal

Apprentice
Aug 20, 2009
Atlanta
Thats another thing...

How do I handle the A/C? The engine still has the a/c compressor from the truck, but its kinda high, about as high as where the air goes into intake. I think the hood is gonna be obstructed from closing.

Should I use the a/c compressor from the 307 (it was replaced and retrofitted to run 134a, prolly has about 10k miles)?

Or should I change a/c brackets (I have no idea what bracket would fit this application)?

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
I dont think the original a/c from the car is going to fit on the L31. Are you going to try to keep a/c on the car, or are you going to take it out.

nova_rookie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2013
I will be doing a L31 swap into a 63 Nova soon, so I thought I would subscribe. Basically, I got the engine and transmission for free and I thought it would be a reliable engine with plenty of power for my Nova. Anyway a couple of thoughts about this swap:
1) the fuel pressure needs to be about 60psi. I will be using a Ford truck external fuel pump as this is the easiest way to go. If you keep the tank at least 1/4 full, there shouldn't be an issue with starving the pump when cornering. Hopefully, the pump will not be too noisy. The pump I have was made by Carter I think (about $100 as I recall).
2) I haven't looked closely at the wiring to the PCM but I understand there were two different "black box" PCMs for these vehicles and that may be the discrepancy noted in the previous posts. I think the 96-97 was different than the 98 up. Note, that the Painless harness is based on the 97 computer 16229684. The last two years of the Express van (2001-2002 I think) used an entirely different computer, the 0411 computer which is also used with the LS1 engine. I intend to look at the Painless and Howell harnesses and just keep the same stuff on the stock harness. That's my thought at the moment. I have a complete set of manuals with wiring diagrams for the Suburban but someone borrowed them and I need to get them back.
3) I will be installing a Vintage Air system but the AC compressor will go in the truck location. I did buy a block to change the hose connections to the rear of the compressor.
4) The engines are designed for low end torque and have a very small cam. I think an LT4 cam work work well and may run on the stock computer tune. Since I am on a pretty tight budget, I intend to use the stock cam but I will use some 1.6 roller tip rockers that I hope will help a little. I think the engine will be a little over 300hp with full length headers and a better tune.

I'll follow along.

Mike

nova_rookie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2013
ATL Regal said:
RUDE DOG said:
I dont think the original a/c from the car is going to fit on the L31. Are you going to try to keep a/c on the car, or are you going to take it out.
Keeping a/c

You can buy a block to reroute the hoses from the top of the compressor to the rear of the compressor. This will ive you more hood clearance. I'll look through my paperwork to see where I bought the block.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor