Last call, The 1983 Malibu wagon

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Bill,
Don't be discouraged. Sometimes you have to be in the right frame of mind to work on the car. If you have to walk away from it for a day or so, do it. I know where you're coming from. I think we all get to the point where we get pissed and feel we're not making headway. My patience isn't what it used to be. Then again I just turned 72...groan!:confused:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tack427

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Boston MA
Hey Bill,
Don't be discouraged. Sometimes you have to be in the right frame of mind to work on the car. If you have to walk away from it for a day or so, do it. I know where you're coming from. I think we all get to the point where we get pissed and feel we're not making headway. My patience isn't what it used to be. Then again I just turned 72...groan!:confused:
I know. I did take a break and went back at it. Got my dash back together, wired my roll control to a dash light and some other miscellaneous stuff, but im probably going to order a new carpet at some point. So i didnt bolt the seats back in or anything

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know. I did take a break and went back at it. Got my dash back together, wired my roll control to a dash light and some other miscellaneous stuff, but im probably going to order a new carpet at some point. So i didnt bolt the seats back in or anything
Don't worry, you'll gradually get to what you have to in good time. Even a little progress here and there is an accomplishment as minor as it seems. Hang in there.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Someone smarter than me once said "Just do a little every day- and one day it will be done."

Woody1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 3, 2022
She looks better before the lights come on.

(Warning: Some of these Pic are Pictures of actual 4x6 gloss pictures. Because that's how things were done last century)

I bought this wagon, way back in 1998. With 4 mismatched bald and spitting tires, rotting off rear bumper, and hood with holes in it. Drove it 40 miles home with 3.8 liter/Th250/2.41open gears, screaming down the highway with plates from my fathers car attached.

First thing to go was the steel wheels with barely any thread, for a set of American racing tail gunner wheels from my recently departed 1984 Camaro

Next to go, the rotting rear bumper for a Lauren engineering fiberglass roll pan

Around the same time, I also swapped out the dash with a non cracked dash and started fabing a cluster of Autometer Phantom gauges, and adding bucket seat and a center console in place of the bench.

Kool story.. looks like mine a little

Attachments

• CBFAC199-8B64-4D0A-8575-A635F7FE8D15.png
    CBFAC199-8B64-4D0A-8575-A635F7FE8D15.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 98

81_malibuclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2021
Hey Bill,
I have a 79 sedan I have never touched it’s completely straight body original motor 52000 miles 3.3 v6 am working on getting a title right now would love to have a 305 in it someday but right now the 79 is the least of my worries, I am also trying to get a cutlass that had been abandoned for about 8 years it has a 350 and a turbo 400 transmission I believe. I don Have any pictures of my malibu but her is the cutlass
B14E9224-C113-4798-A5F2-C64F030E2ADE.jpeg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The 1968 Firebird project I am working on right now has been languishing for 40 years. So you are still fresh at it. So much has intervened- kids- old parents- grandkids- work- house stuff- it sat quietly waiting and now I am at it. But at almost 70 years old I get pooped MUCH too soon! :mrgreen:

Reactions: 2 users

81_malibuclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2021
The 1968 Firebird project I am working on right now has been languishing for 40 years. So you are still fresh at it. So much has intervened- kids- old parents- grandkids- work- house stuff- it sat quietly waiting and now I am at it. But at almost 70 years old I get pooped MUCH too soon! :mrgreen:
Good to hear, it’s always good to hear a project is coming along sometimes all my malibus just ruin my week when somehting goes wrong like a couple years ago when my 78 threw the rod, didn’t touch the car for a year after that

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor