Late model stand alone aftermarket stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Time to work on this is almost as scarce as with the el camino. Had to completely rework my plastic kick panel boxes to fit the monster DS18 speakers,
Definitely sounds better than ancient pioneers I tried, makes the rear speakers sound dull. Getting 2 more soon. These speakers are efficient, but are begging for more amp.

Still not really happy with sound yet & i can see why, this vehicle design is screwing me. Seats are closer to center than average vehicle , but corners are even fatter. Sounds better from drivers seat if I move towards middle.. Overhead, these huge rounded padded roof corners force speaker box to be past left ear as you can see in pic. I'll have to do custom boxes to get speakers into corners. May take up part of upper rear of bulkhead wall to make large airspace for 2 more of these monster ds18 speakers. They do seem to have a strong mid bass potential if in a bigger solid box.

The front kickpanel boxes seem to have same problem of sound being too far from ends, they are about 1/2 of the way into the seat center. Looks like i may need to strongly consider doing something with door panels. Sound also has a little muffled effect being way down low, as does my el camino with kick panel pods. Kinda like a person wearing a mask.

I really hate redoing things multiple times, getting asked aren't you done yet. If it ain't right, it ain't right.
20201116_182933.jpg
20201116_183038.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Picked up a pair if DS18 pro 8" speakers to put in front doors and will put their new 6 x9's in top of plywood wall in custom box. Trying to get an answer on how much air volume would be ideal for these speakers, haven't heard back from company tech yet.. Thinking about a large pod insert into front door panels, rather than cutout into doors. X-694bm & x-8.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks, didn't see that page, but that's for their subs. I did get a call from tech today. Their 8" mid range box size is best from .35 to .5 cu ft airspace, diminishing gains going any larger. The 6 x 9's actually have a deeper range than their mid 8's. Figuring for where to make an add on pod. easiest to fit behind factory speaker, lines up with front of seat. Option 2 would be to build pod out angling speaker back to sit up front. Options 3 & 4 would be to cut out door grille area or remove factory speaker entirely to set speaker in deeper, whether pointing straight or angling back & up. Definitely appreciate thoughts on location, not much experience with locating door speakers & how they sound.
20201119_094452.jpg
20201119_200538.jpg

Last edited:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
One other early thought I had was to build some sort a speaker pod for the lower cupholders you see above my kickpods. I'd need to run another amp, but I'm set up to do so. 4's could easily fit there. If i'm still not happy after door speaker install, will reconsider that.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
You mean company work done with the van? over 10 hrs day average.
Or how much I'm doing to the van? It's my rolling workshop. Generator, air compressor, slide out saws behind sliding side door ,etc. Insulated & lined walls with custom adjustable wood shelf units. Adding air tanks & air horns next before finishing tool & stock related stuff..
20200819_223046.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor