Leaking Valve Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Get u some new gaskets. U might think you didn't over tighten it but you probably did. After u put the new gasket on let the old oil burn off the exhaust, you'll be alright. Probably spray some degreaser on it first to avoid any fires (unlikely but still)

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I’ve always utilize the rubberized gaskets for my valve covers and have installed them dry. The other thing you need to look at is the bottom of the valve cover were it seats up against a gasket. you want to make sure that surface is as true/flat as possible.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
By chance are they leaking from the bolt holes? Only other place I could think of on those type of valve covers that might be where the oil came from.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
By chance are they leaking from the bolt holes? Only other place I could think of on those type of valve covers that might be where the oil came from.

thy are not leaking from the bolts, I think I'm going to go with 565bbchevy's suggestion and get a pair of the finned aluminum covers.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Get u some new gaskets. U might think you didn't over tighten it but you probably did. After u put the new gasket on let the old oil burn off the exhaust, you'll be alright. Probably spray some degreaser on it first to avoid any fires (unlikely but still)

these valve covers were used when I got them. They didn't leak last year but they did after I changed the heads, it may even be that when I had the gaskets hanging around they may have been damaged without me noticing but I'll be getting a better set of valve covers like the ones 565bbchevy suggested. I do not like oil leaks so it would cause me grief if I tried another set of seals and still had a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor