LED Dash Lighting 87 442

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Hello! Looking at upgrading the bulbs in the instrument cluster (rallye pack) to LED's, and am wondering if bulbs like the Sylvania LED's need an additional resistor. I just want to replace the 194's and 168's with something brighter...gauges and speedo are way too dim at night.

If you know of a setup that works, let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I haven't done this in either G Body yet but I swapped to LEDs in my '04 Sierra and it's great. The change will be even more noticeable on older vehicles and no other mods are necessary, but some are painting parts of the cluster silver/white to reflect even more light at the gauge face.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
I haven't done this in either G Body yet but I swapped to LEDs in my '04 Sierra and it's great. The change will be even more noticeable on older vehicles and no other mods are necessary, but some are painting parts of the cluster silver/white to reflect even more light at the gauge face.
I know you mentioned painting silver/white, and I did a test on that years ago with an old square body. I had two clusters, one I did silver, and the other a gloss white. There was a SIGNIFICANT difference, with the white being much brighter and "sharper" light.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I know you mentioned painting silver/white, and I did a test on that years ago with an old square body. I had two clusters, one I did silver, and the other a gloss white. There was a SIGNIFICANT difference, with the white being much brighter and "sharper" light.
Good to know. I think most of us would assume silver reflects more light due to being metallic even though a property of white is reflecting every color of the light spectrum.

Im looking at potentially opening my dash in the near future and actually plan to rehab the gauges if I do. Making them brighter and easier to see is definitely on the list so your results will be helpful, thank you.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I recently purchased the sets on g body parts, haven’t installed them yet. Still have to get to the gauge restoration part of my build and first rewatch hutches videos on hutch hiperf very informative. There supposed to be a direct swap.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Sylvania has direct LED replacements for the 168 and 194 bulbs, and they are nice and bright!
I put them into my 1969 Beaumont instrument cluster. They are perfect. Remember they are polarized for plus/minus, so spin the holder 180 degrees if they do not light. If you can reach the bulb with your fingertips, then you can change it.
Screenshot (14502).png

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Does Sylvania only offer the "snowcap" type or do they have a 194 with multiple SMDs like the Yorkim bulb in the video?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor