Lets Discuss Winter Storage in Less Than Ideal Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
One year I had to put my car in "cold storage" I had to store it in a lean to I had built off the back of my garage. It only has a stone floor. More important than covering the car, I used a tarp to lay on floor so moisture coming up from the ground wouldn't hit the bottom of the car. Yes, the top of the car got dusty, but when I pulled it out, you wouldn't believe all the moisture the tarp had blocked from getting to the bottom of car. There was actually ice under the tarp on the ground.... Moral of the story, if you're not parking on concrete or pavement, stopping moisture from coming up is more important than protecting the top of the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
My two cents is buying a good car cover. I would stay away from tarp, plastic, or vinyl, although they may protect they don't breath and are subject to absorbing sun and getting hot underneath. It's always nice to be on cement and if that's not available a vapor barrier. Unloading the suspension and storing the tires indoors is always a plus. I have been covering my Motor home and trailer with a good cover for years and will continue to do so. Many years ago I covered a car with a blue vinyl-plastic tarp nice and tight and that was a big mistake. Mold and mildew developed, thank God is was going to become a race car. It would have been better off just sitting in the elements. As always take precautions against rodents.
IMG_5830.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
One other note, a "good" car cover is NOT cheap. Plan on spending a MINIMUM of $250, probably closer to 400-500 for one that will last and protect your car if stored outside.

• Agree

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet but canvas buildings are a great option. Most communities consider them temporary so they aren’t taxed.

This summer is purchased a ShelterLogic 14x32 while they were on sale. The frame is surprisingly robust once assembled. Some of the bolt holes in the pipes were drilled crooked, made it a bit of a pain.

The canvas was a bit disappointing, pretty much just a tarp, but the way they attach it to the frame is a great idea. There were also some holes cut in the wrong area that the pipe frame laces through. I had to make a few in the correct locations.

I laid a tarp on the ground with rail road ties at the base of the perimeter of the building. The frame was lag screwed to the ties. I fit 4 cars in there, decently. 1 gbody, a extended cab s-10, a reg cab s-10 and a Eagle talon. Then I ratchet strapped the building to each vehicle for additional wind protection.

In the end, I could put sheets on the vehicles if I felt the need. There is plenty of air movement too. Outside of rodents, I feel this may be better storage than a garage with a sweaty floor in the summer.

I don’t anticipate the buildings cover to last more than a year or two and you do need enough room to clear the snow from the sides as it slides off and piles up at the base.

In a year or two I will likely cover it with metal roofing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you want to park the car out of the elements you can always rent a 10' x 20' storage unit

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
Storage units are outrageous $$ - at least here- may as well buy an enclosed trailer, now you got something.

They are crazy expensive here too. I looked into getting one, for a 10x20, $200-250 a month is about average. I quickly ruled out that option. For comparison, I can rent a nice duplex that comes with a garage for about $800 a month.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Must be insanely expensive. I bought my 14x32 for $700 new. You won’t find an inclosed trailer for under a grand.

I just meant If you were going to spend that kind of money on a storage unit an enclosed would be a better investment. I have had three trailers and as long as you take care of them your not going to loose money on it and the fact is that you have a trailer. My car, golf cart, and scooter stay in there and are secure.

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
I just meant If you were going to spend that kind of money on a storage unit an enclosed would be a better investment. I have had three trailers and as long as you take care of them your not going to loose money on it and the fact that you have a trailer. My car, golf cart, and scooter stay in there and are secure.
An inclosed trailer for $700?

I guess I doubt I would loose much on the building either

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor