Lets Talk About OEM Brakes - Fade-a-Rama

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I did some emergency brake tests on my 86 SS. The brakes were recently serviced, bled and adjusted. They seem to work well for casual braking. 3 hard stops from 45 mph brought on noticeable fade where it required 2 feet to stop. (that is, my left and right foot).
I can't see anyone autocrossing with a stock setup. Wonder if a simple improvement in brake strength can be achieved by just upgrading the brake linings? #2 - A Blazer upgrade might be a good start. Too bad I don't know how to upgrade rear drums. I'd like to keep a disk/drum setup but if rear disks complete the package that would be a good option as well.
Guess what I'll be doing once winter sets in?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Ed1948
I run NAPA semi metallic pads and shoes on my G-bodys.
Started many years ago with the avatar 79 Monte Carlo not being able to stop at the bottom of a hill from 55 MPH, My 88 Super Sport Monte Carlo and the newest 13,000 Monte Carlo were not even registered in my name before making the change.
I'm also planning on changing out the rubber hoses on both cars this upcoming winter for a set of "Stop Flex" braided stainless hoses we sell at Classic Tube. Changed them out in my brothers 74 Monte Carlo just over a year ago and the results were impressive according to him.

Just a suggestion that may help.
Bob S.

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I replaced the flex lines with Russell braided hoses. Thanks for the suggestion.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
If you are going to keep the rear drums, most guys will get the S10 manual brake wheel cylinders and also the wheel cylinder bolt on brackets instead of relying on the clips that hold the factory ones on. I'm sure if you do a search you can find the part numbers or another member will chime in...timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I have blazer brakes and converted to 98-02 camaro brakes in the rear a 35.00 prop valve and it's never stopped better some of the best money I spent

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
hands down the 98-03 2wd blazer spindle will get you there. But its a bit of work. And if you are breaking it down to the spindle then you really should do the balljoints, and since you are in there when was the last time the control arm bushings were done, and well the springs may be original... blah blah blah
Another option was I recall Guy from NB was using a larger piston caliper and upgraded pads on the stock unit with good results.
http://gbodybudgetfrontbrakeupgrade.blogspot.ca/2011/10/upgrading-g-body-front-brakes.html

I quickly looked on car-part.com and not much turned up Canada side for the blazer spindle and nothing in Ontario. Ebay or here should get you spindles for a decent rate. I wouldn't worry about rear disks until you start making more powah !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
If you are going to keep the rear drums, most guys will get the S10 manual brake wheel cylinders and also the wheel cylinder bolt on brackets instead of relying on the clips that hold the factory ones on. I'm sure if you do a search you can find the part numbers or another member will chime in...timo22
Yep....here are the screenshots i have saved for the s10 brake cylinder swap parts. Thanks to Jared for confirming awhile back!!!
Screenshot_20170304-165312.png
Screenshot_20170304-165244.png

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
86 MCSS will likely have the weak single diaphragm brake booster, good upgrade is a B body 12 inch dual diaphragm booster.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I found EBC brake pads with new solid rotors worked great when broken in properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor