ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I sit here thinking, which is not a good thing, after advice in private emails and messages, and this last experience, I believe I am going to put a new target up and see where that leads me. As much as I would love the rareity of the Grand AM, and the manual transmission, the other car I am thinking of is an 84 Hurst Olds. WHY?
Well, there are more of them.
They seem to be more taken care of by owners since they are not you're run of the mill daily driver like the Grand Ams were.
I love the Lightning Rods
The seem to come up more often at least on the west coast or here in AZ.
Rust is my biggest Nemisis having lived in PA for 38 years.
And to find that diamond in the rough Grand AM manual, and have it be fairly, I said fairly rust free, seems like I have more of a chance of being hit by lightning. Oh look it is clouding up as I type.
Maybe I'm trying to relive an experience I had with my Grand Am rather than looking at a new experience with the Hurst Olds. I'm not a fan of black cars for me personally due to the sun in AZ so I am sort of limited to the silver 84s.. Oh look the sun is coming out as I type.
So, I'm going to post a thread over in the Olds Forum and see if planting that seed brings a more fruitful harvest.
I'm not giving up on the Grand Am but I'm expanding my search to try to find something I have always admired and NEVER owned.
I posted this here in case someone sees my post in the Olds forum and wonders what's up. Yes there is one in Phx now but it has rust issues already and is NOT what I am looking for. Go figure......I find one in AZ and close and it has rust. REALLY??????????:doh:

Don57

Apprentice
Apr 12, 2009
St. John's, NL
Have you looked at this one yet? Not a fan of the spoiler on the trunk lid, but looks like a solid car.

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/87760
Should you change your mind on this car............just letting you know the trunk lid of a 4-door is the same as a 2-door.......so it would be easier to find one from a base LeMans.......78-81. It is possible the Malibu trunk lid is the same.........anybody know?

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Deck lids are the same.
I had that 84? T/A spoiler on my 1st G/A. The way that sits the car will be extremely squirrelly.
I made a slight wedge out of Vespel and it helped handling tremendously.

Don57

Apprentice
Apr 12, 2009
St. John's, NL
Deck lids are the same.
I had that 84? T/A spoiler on my 1st G/A. The way that sits the car will be extremely squirrelly.
I made a slight wedge out of Vespel and it helped handling tremendously.
grandamman............did you notice the factory AM/FM/CB radio in the blue 79' GA? Haven't seen too many of them. BTW, I apologize for the delay in your response to the previous post. I overlooked your question about the seat material. I bought the material (3.5 yards of each) from SMS Fabrics ............it was perfect. Had a local guy sew it up for me for $1000 Canadian. Wishing I had bought new foam.........though.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Ok, I bought my blue cloth from SMS a few years back.
I did see the AM/FM/CB.
I have one in my red 4 speed.
They came with a power antenna.

The nose on the white one looks like it has a crease in or something. I've talked with owner/previouse owner? some time back

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Is this what they call a Grand Amino?
Picture0308181946951.jpg

Racco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2018
I have an 80 grand am that I will be listing in the next week or so. I'm located in Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor