Looking for help on buying a Monte Carlo 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
rotors? are you talking about brakes? your rotor might be good, dont mess with it until you know for sure thats the problem because to get a new one in you have to figure out where top dead center is and its just a pain but when i did my regal i just needed spark plugs and wires and for the most part that was it to get the engine going. also dont be a downy like me, make sure you clean out the tank if it is dry.

That is what came to mind when I seen rotor in his answer but not sure what it is under the hood

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Michael,
That car looks real good from the pictures. I'm convinced you are looking at a 79 model, I do believe the rear sway bars that came factory from GM followed straight across the rear end cover on the 78 models where as 79 and up had the dip in the center that followed the "pumpkin".
Your gas tank and spare tire well also show no rust in the weld seams, that is a big plus.
If you look at the tag in the drivers door at the top the VIN will be listed as wall as the date of build. Providing the door was not replaced, you can check it to the VIN plate at the left corner of the windshield.
Judging by your pictures if you are willing to put some effort into taking care of the rodent issue you would have a great starting point for a sweet ride.
A little advice...BEFORE you attempt to start the engine, remove the air cleaner and check for any rodent nests! Last thing you need is to suck Mickey or one of his cousins into the engine!:eek:

Good luck!
Bob S.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Rotor is under neath the distributor cap, its part if the electronics of the engine.
Yes the car has front rotors(brake part) but that wasn't what he was referring to.
Rotor sends spark threw distributor cap, threw the spark plug wire to the spark plug. Which all should be changed. To change any of this you don't need engine at top dead center.
Top dead center is only need to install distributor or to time in which you use timing tab and timing light.
So if you do prime(pull distributor)the engine make sure to mark where the distributor was, as in where the rotor was pointed towards.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Michael,
That car looks real good from the pictures. I'm convinced you are looking at a 79 model, I do believe the rear sway bars that came factory from GM followed straight across the rear end cover on the 78 models where as 79 and up had the dip in the center that followed the "pumpkin".
Your gas tank and spare tire well also show no rust in the weld seams, that is a big plus.
If you look at the tag in the drivers door at the top the VIN will be listed as wall as the date of build. Providing the door was not replaced, you can check it to the VIN plate at the left corner of the windshield.
Judging by your pictures if you are willing to put some effort into taking care of the rodent issue you would have a great starting point for a sweet ride.
A little advice...BEFORE you attempt to start the engine, remove the air cleaner and check for any rodent nests! Last thing you need is to suck Mickey or one of his cousins into the engine!:eek:

Good luck!
Bob S.
That is exactly what happened to me, and im pretty sure thats why my grandpa couldnt get it to start a few years ago

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Rotor is under neath the distributor cap, its part if the electronics of the engine.
Yes the car has front rotors(brake part) but that wasn't what he was referring to.
Rotor sends spark threw distributor cap, threw the spark plug wire to the spark plug. Which all should be changed. To change any of this you don't need engine at top dead center.
Top dead center is only need to install distributor or to time in which you use timing tab and timing light.
So if you do prime(pull distributor)the engine make sure to mark where the distributor was, as in where the rotor was pointed towards.

I know it's probably not as hard as I'm thinking it might be so I'm going to have to watch some videos on how to do it so I don't mess it up

Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Do you have an iphone, i would be willing to face time you and show you basically everything you would need to look at after you buy it. if you have a computer at home get a game called car mechanic simulator 2016 and play it a ton. it will basically teach you the names and looks of everything, but it will not teach you how to do tedious things like get out stripped bolts.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I know it's probably not as hard as I'm thinking it might be so I'm going to have to watch some videos on how to do it so I don't mess it up
Yes definately watch other people do it and learn from them, you have basically all of the info you would need at your fingertips, if my dyslexic *ss can do it im sure you can.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Do you have an iphone, i would be willing to face time you and show you basically everything you would need to look at after you buy it. if you have a computer at home get a game called car mechanic simulator 2016 and play it a ton. it will basically teach you the names and looks of everything, but it will not teach you how to do tedious things like get out stripped bolts.

I don't have an iPhone but I have an Galaxy S7 also don't have a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor