Looking for help on buying a Monte Carlo 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Welcome to the forum, this is an awesome place for info!! I'm out west of the metro, where is the car? Looks like a decent Monte. If you purchase the car and get in over your head I can take it off your hands. :D

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
I was looking at the pics again and I'm thinking it is a V-8, also noticed a nice varmint door in the back seat :itchy:

They have done a number on the floor mats to. Power seat, sport mirrors and tilt even

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
As most have mention check the frame rails, driver side have a really good look from in front of the rear tire to the bumper, seen a few rusted out in front of rear tire. Also see more than a few behind the rear tire.
Also has been mention get down an dirty and check underneath the floor panels
As it hasn't been started for 10 years an if your going to try to start it, the gas lines an tank are going to have garbage in it, but if you put a little gas down carb it may fire.
If you buy it and once you get it home change the fluids, normal oil only has a life of 6 months before it starts to break down. Water/Antifreeze is just going to be terrible so dump it an even throw water in it to flush it.
Gas tank will have to be dropped an flush as well as flush gas lines. Carb maybe OK but if not a quick rebuilt will get it working.
So check frame , check floors, general check of fluids, check oil to see if water is in it, light brown slug on dipstick or filler cap, l always taste the oil, taste burn or gas.
Take rad cap off look for oil film in the neck of rad, oil bad ! Pull transmission dipstick check for burn smell or taste, just saying.
For $1000 bucks hard to go wrong if frame an floors are good even if engine an transmission is toast. If everything looks good you hit the jackpot, pay the $1000 an get it home fast !!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Before you try to start it I would remove the plugs put some ATF in the cylinder and let that sit for a day. I would turn it over by hand before I turned it with the starter motor. Once that is done I would remove the pink power wire to the distributor so you get that dried engine lubricated and to build up oil pressure

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Time for a reality check before you proceed any further. I hope not to discourage you.
-do you have the facilities to store and properly work on the car?
-do you have the mechanical ambition to diy or the cash to have work done for you?
-how tolerant are you to the mechanical quirks an old neglected vehicle could present?
-do you want a nice beater to drive or a future toy that needs to be fed with money, parts and time?
-do you have the time and dedication to jump in to a project with both feet?
-any issue that looks like it will take a dollar and 10 minutes to fix can multiply 10X your original estimate to do it right..

Use a camera with flash and take lots of under body pics of the footwell areas *front and rear seat*, *ahead and behind the rear axle* and post your results here.
Spend lots of time researching forum members restoration projects.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
First one ive seen besides mine with blue interior if you dont want it ill take the guys number id buy it for just the front seat dash and passenger front fender probably steering column too if its tilt! Lots of parts im looking for on there so if you buy and decide to sell keep me in mind

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
I am in MN. He is asking 1000 for it, he is not sure when it was last ran he thinks 10 years maybe, just got it from his aunt that had just passed away. I don't know to much on fixing car but I can do small things, just don't want to get more then I can handle or pay to have fixed.
Sounds similiar to how i got mine however look at everything bring up any concerns and haggle but dont open with "whats your bottom dollar" all that does is piss off the seller

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
OK I went and seen it took a lot of pics didn't start it at all not when the owner was not around. Body looks in really good condition, inside looks like it will all need to be re-done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor