Lost 2004r transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I tried to re-use this but no one in my area will rebuild it. I live in southern Indiana and the best offer I had was to send mine off to jasper. They classified it as a custom job
Say what?!?! Sounds like the axle shop near me that won't touch most rear ends. Guess those guys don't like to make money. If they work on TH350, TH400, TH700R4 they can do yours.

olds4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2017
I agree with you. Sad part is I can’t do anything about it. I am going to go with either the 700 or 300/400. I’ve been chasing parts all day and have nothing to show for it. Do you know any part numbers for the bop adaptor?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Be careful what you get your 700 out of.

The 2wd s10 blazer/jimmy and the firebird/camaro had some 60* v6 bellhousing bolt patterns which also will not fit... it's not just a chevy vs bop pattern to worry about.

Also, early 700 are not as good as the later models

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, that sucks, the 700R4 is nothing to write home about. I have fried a 4L60E(700R4, but electronic) behind a mild Olds 350 and have killed a few 2004R's behind a Olds 403 and a Olds 350. Pretty sure the direct clutch packs went out in two of them. I used the cheap bellhousing adapter, this one is better. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/trd-0061/overview/
Sucks, you have to shorten the driveshaft and mod or replace the cross member. Too bad the 4L80E isn't an option, even a good used one is better than a built to the max 700R4.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I wouldn't waste my money on a 700R4; the 200-4R is better for performance in my experience. If no one in your locality is willing to rebuild it, just buy one online and sell your current one as a core. There's always the option of researching and trying your own hand at rebuilding it..

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You're on the 3rd one? What's going wrong with them? Something is not adding up here. The upgrades available for a 200 are far superior than the upgrades available for a 700 (thanks to the GN/GNX crowd). I'm with Qdub if you cannot find someone locally to build it. FTI, PATC, Bowtie Overdives, Art Carr, etc., will sell you a stage 1 200 that will stand up to you mild 403 with no issues for a reasonable price - WITH A WARRANTY!!

Can you answer my questions?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
CK Performance is the go-to for 200-4rs (I got it right this time!).

Oh, and if you want to get rid of it, stick it on a pallet to the Fastenal store in 21701; I'll PayPal you the shipping.:D

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

olds4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2017
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I’ll give you the history of the break downs

First one I bought the transmission from a well known supplier initials MT. When I put it all together the speedo was all wrong and it made a terrible clunk when down shifting. It was so loud that other cars looked to see where the clunk. In order to fix the clunk and speedo issue I took it to local shop to change speedo gears and check on the clunk. Gut called me and said pan was full of shavings and indeed it was. I had them to rebuild it. It lasted for 40 to 60 miles and forward went out on it. Luckily I was at the body shop where I do business. Reverse went out then accompanied by a tremendous grinding noise. Mechanic pulled the 200 out and found the shaft was broken and it was so tight they had to use a pry bar to drop the drive shaft.

That’s where I am now. I have spent close to 3K at this point. I tried to get another transmission shop in Evansville to rebuild it. Those I talked wound;t touch it. I called Jasper and they said it was custom build requiring me to get it of car and ship it to them. This wasn’t possible at this time. Jasper said the turn around would be 6 to 8 weeks since the only rebuild the ones were shipped.

I guess was wrong on number of transmission. I have had 2 built and the one I need now would have been the third

I am at the point of putting in TH400 and do away with the od A ny thoughts on the 400?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The TH400 is very strong with mild upgrades. If you are OK with 3200 RPM at 60 mph with a stock height tire, then you are good to go. The 4L80E is an overdrive TH400.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor