Lost driveshaft at speed; damaged...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
A few weeks ago coming a cruise in I threw my driveshaft on the highway playing around.......a group of various cars behind my headed me locked it down when trans fluid spilled out........what I want to know from others who had this happen how much damage occurred to your transmission? Here is some pics from todays inspection.............broke the tailshaft all the way but the mount stayed intact and the iceman xmember held but the Energy Suspension tailshaft mount was the weakest part which I believed flexed..........
IMG_0651-1.jpg

IMG_0650-1.jpg

IMG_0649-1.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Doing 40 mph jumps with a 65 Tempest(my buddy) felt a vibration and the driveshaft broke loose then high rpm and a lot of banging under the car............... :shock:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Friend of mine busted the case for the transmission, trashed most of his exhaust and dented up the floor with a busted driveshaft in his malibu. Transmission case needed replaced, driveshaft replaced of course and most of the exhaust just needed some bending to work again.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
No way to know till you start taking things apart. You might get luck with a new extension housing and driveline. I wouldn't ever get that lucky but maybe you have more karma points than I do. Expect the worst but hope for the best.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What does your driveshaft look like? I would want to find out the actual cause of the problem to make sure it won't happen again. Unless something obvious broke, it could be something not as noticeable like maybe the driveshaft bottomed out against the tailshaft housing because of what you were doing?

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
565bbchevy said:
What does your driveshaft look like? I would want to find out the actual cause of the problem to make sure it won't happen again. Unless something obvious broke, it could be something not as noticeable like maybe the driveshaft bottomed out against the tailshaft housing because of what you were doing?
Drive shaft came loose at the rear universal joint.....rolled drive shaft across garage floor it rolls smooth.....we believe u joint hold down clamps loosed/failed and flung caps and came apart........

The saving grace probably was the factory driveshaft bar kept it up enough to let go straight back out pass the rear axle and gas tank....without it would have really beat the ground and the floor pan or flung sideways under a tire.... :shock:

pontiacgp said:
do you have solid engine mounts?..

Nope factory clam shells motor mounts.........

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
383S10 said:
pontiacgp said:
do you have solid engine mounts?..

Nope factory clam shells motor mounts.........

That could be the problem, the factory bushings allow the engine more movement than the poli bushing on your transmission. It may have put too much strain on the aluminium transmission casing when you were having a good time. You are supposed to run the same type of bushing on the three locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor