lowered front and 235 60 tires

mickeypowa

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Hi !!
I changed my front tires recently by 235 60 15 (the original tire size I think ?) but now the tire hit the frame. It's because the front of my car has been lowered I think.
I would like to keep theses tires without trimming, so I would like to go back to a stock height. How can I do ? What parts should I change ?
The springs, and the shocks ? other parts ??
Do you have the references so I can order on internet ?

Thanks a lot !

Mickeypowa

Winkernod

Winkernod

Apprentice
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
My 1980 Grand Prix is at stock ride height but when I put 235-60-15 on it the inside scrubbed slightly so I had a pair of 1/4 inch spacers that fixed the issue

P

PBGBodyFan

Master Mechanic
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Hits with normal driving or on full lock turns?

mickeypowa

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
235 60 15 isn t the stock tire size ?

It rubs the body frame at full lock turns, but a lot !

Actually I bought the car already lowered with 225 50 15 tires. So I didnt do a wheel alignment.

But as the roads here in tahiti are pretty bad, I would like to have stock height and tires to have a more confortable car.
And I prefer the standard height aesthetics.

What should I buy?
Moog springs ? Which one ? And shocks ?
Or also other parts ?

MechMan

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Long Island NY
I know that the stock tires on a 1986 Monte Carlo SS were 215/65/15. I don't see stock for yours being too much different though I am not sure what you have. Looks like a Grand Prix from the picture.

pagrunt

pagrunt

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had a few years between putting in new springs (non-A/C SS listing) & putting on the 235/60/15's with the change vrom a V6 to V8. There was never any rubbing with the tires & the inner fenders/wheel lip. The only factor that could be different for me was I used mid '80's steel rallys that had a different a different offset than the stock 14's & let the wheel wieghts hit the lower control arm. Might want to see if it's the offset is the cause.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
mickeypowa

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Ah yes I have not the stock rims too. 15 inch but I don't know the offset.
But in fact the tire is too tall and touches de metal of the frame. If I put a spacer the tire should be stuck against the frame.
I switched to 205 60 15 and now I don't rub anymore, but I m not satisfied of the aesthetics.
What coil springs and shocks would you recommand for my oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1980 ?
Should I change the control arms etc too?
20190911_165957.jpg

The photo is with my new 205 60 15 !

O

Oldcoyote

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 4, 2019
Hi !!
I changed my front tires recently by 235 60 15 (the original tire size I think ?) but now the tire hit the frame. It's because the front of my car has been lowered I think.
I would like to keep theses tires without trimming, so I would like to go back to a stock height. How can I do ? What parts should I change ?
The springs, and the shocks ? other parts ??
Do you have the references so I can order on internet ?

Thanks a lot !

Mickeypowa
How was the front lowered?

pagrunt

pagrunt

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hate to see you wasing money of tires but a 215/65/15 might be what would work for the aesthetics. This is the stock 15 inch tire for our cars (MC SS, 442, GN, 2+2).

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor