LQ4 value

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have a possible line on a LQ4 6.0L with just a tad over 300k miles. The head gaskets are done and my buddy is thinking about just replacing the engine instead of rebuilding this one. What would be a fair price for just the engine without the wiring harness? I'm new to these LS engines but I really want to build a boosted 6.0L in the future.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
If it comes with the complete accessory drive and starter, I would say $500 tops. That is a lot of miles.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I know that it has lot of miles on it but I'm not too worried about that because when I do eventually get around to messing with it it will get a total rebuild. I know he always maintained it and he parked it as soon as he saw coolant in the oil. It ran like a top and I can verify that. I would just love to grab this and set it under the bench for a few years until I get the funds to build what I want.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
$300-$400 tops. I don't know how much you're wanting to build it but you can get new 6.0 blocks for like $700 and build from there.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
300k miles is ridiculously high even for a 6.0 litre. I'd say it's 'worthless' because it's a gamble meaning: like $250 - 300 and that's it. Because it's huge, you're basically doing him a favor taking a chance on this engine to pay him anything more than scrap value b/c just like any gamble you could lose on this one and I'm assuming you're moving it yourself.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I know the 6.0 is worth a tiny bit more than the 5.3 but i paid $460 for mine minus the harness and starter and that was only 128,000 mile motor that was super clean on the inside when i pulled it apart.
Now i understand the LS is a strong reliable motor that will go for a LONG time but 300,000 even if you are rebuilding it i wouldn't give a dime more than scrap value cuz thats alot of miles! I would do $250 tops just because there is parts you can use

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
150 bucks. Throw some rings and bearings in it. Spend the money getting the heads rebuilt. Watch your buddy wonder 'why the hell did I get rid of that engine.' The iron LS blocks are very resilient.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Ok im gonna start at $250. Lets say I get it and do a total twin turbo build, is the factory harness needed or is that something I can buy aftermarket or make cheaper? Im new to these engines if you cant tell :lol:

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
-83MONTESS- said:
Ok im gonna start at $250. Lets say I get it and do a total twin turbo build, is the factory harness needed or is that something I can buy aftermarket or make cheaper? Im new to these engines if you cant tell :lol:

There is a guy on LS1Tech.com that bought a high mileage 6.0 liter like this. It was running but made a strange noise that he thought was caused by the lifters. After taking it apart he found that one of the cylinders was egg shaped at the top and allowed for .100" of piston movement. Just sayin.......you might be pissing in the wind on this one.

You can buy a harness and ECM set up ready to go for an engine for North of $1000 or you can buy a factory harness from a salvage yard and modify it yourself. Either way, you will likely need to modify wire length and routing so brush up on your electrical skills. LS1Tech.com has everything you need. You should spend some time there reading. Youtube also has some vids (check out the link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITS_uOXZrU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor