Ls cam swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
how hard is it to do or how easy any special tools required im sure i will need valve spring compressor but what else is involved? How bout rocker arm adjustmant any tips and info appreciated

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
how hard is it to do or how easy any special tools required im sure i will need valve spring compressor but what else is involved? How bout rocker arm adjustmant any tips and info appreciated

Do a search on LSTECH.com or Youtube. It's been covered a gazillion times. Sounds like you're not removing the heads so you will need some rods to insert into the block to keep the lifters in position. Getting the balancer off can be challenging unless you have the right tools and jack bolt (again covered on youtube).

1970camaroRS

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2014
The wooden dowel trick works. I used that method last time I swapped cams since it was with the engine in the car and not apart on a stand. Don't be afraid. Pulling the pulley is easy and can be done with a three jaw puller. Reinstalling it requires that you USE THE CORRECT TOOL or you will pull out the threads in the crank. And that's a bad day. Good news is that building the correct tool yourself costs about $8 and a hack-saw. Grab some M16 x 2 threaded rod, washers, nuts and viola...you're in business. Valve-spring compressors are easy squeazy and there are a bunch of well priced options for doing it with the heads installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor