LS Disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
My take on any of the LS builds it that if you don't put a turbo or some kind of power adder their just another SB with a good set of heads. Does any one just build a LS that FI and just run it that way. Their are many 4 and 6 cylinder build with turbos that make big numbers and go fast. They are just another small block with a good set of heads.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My take on any of the LS builds it that if you don't put a turbo or some kind of power adder their just another SB with a good set of heads. Does any one just build a LS that FI and just run it that way. Their are many 4 and 6 cylinder build with turbos that make big numbers and go fast. They are just another small block with a good set of heads.

Heads are what make engines good. Have you seen a LS engine pulled apart? They are way different than the old small blocks. Overbuilt is an understatement. I'm going to slap a NA 4.8 or 5.3 with a 4l60 into my Malibu wagon. Leave the 7.5 rear axle in there and enjoy the sh*t out of the car. Full exhaust, stock converter, A/C, cruise. Quiet, fast, reliable, economical. I have a 2wd '99 GMC with a 4.8. It's a great truck, gets 18mpg mixed driving and is potent when you stand on it. The damn thing weighs 5000lbs empty so imagine what that powertrain is like with 1000lbs less lard and better aerodynamics.
IMG_20170914_182627301.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Holy sh*t, do you have a cement mixer sucking up that power? That seems like a lot of parasitic loss.

Yes, it's a 4l80e!! It had a stock converter in it at the time too. I have a triple billet Circle D that can lockup under full power in there now so it's putting alot more to the tires.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, it's a 4l80e!! It had a stock converter in it at the time too. I have a triple billet Circle D that can lockup under full power in there now so it's putting alot more to the tires.
Which just shows the 4L80E is a power stealing hog! I can actually see why a 2004R/700R4/4L60-70E are used now. Problem is they all need massive upgrades and still fall short. Makes sense, a smaller diameter performance converter will no doubt be more efficient.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Heads are what make engines good. Have you seen a LS engine pulled apart? They are way different than the old small blocks. Overbuilt is an understatement. I'm going to slap a NA 4.8 or 5.3 with a 4l60 into my Malibu wagon. Leave the 7.5 rear axle in there and enjoy the sh*t out of the car. Full exhaust, stock converter, A/C, cruise. Quiet, fast, reliable, economical. I have a 2wd '99 GMC with a 4.8. It's a great truck, gets 18mpg mixed driving and is potent when you stand on it. The damn thing weighs 5000lbs empty so imagine what that powertrain is like with 1000lbs less lard and better aerodynamics. View attachment 109306
Did the 2wd 4.8 trucks get a higher stall converter? A guy I worked with had the same truck. It would lay rubber and went like hell. The 5.3/4L70E and 5.3/6spd auto 4wd trucks I drove a lot were plain useless. No doubt the 2wd is lighter and why these motors move in a 3500ish pound car so well.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I guess it depends on your definition of cheap. One of the more popular turbos recently had been the VS Racing 7875 with billet compressor wheel. At $550 and capable of up to around 750whp.....I'd consider that a lot of bang for the buck.

I guess l should have stated Turbo System, from turbo Manifolds to top hat and everything in between.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
I guess l should have stated Turbo System, from turbo Manifolds to top hat and everything in between.
That's the thing though. You can make that power with the same stock truck intake, manifolds, fuel rails and injectors that you pulled from the junkyard.

Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
That's the thing though. You can make that power with the same stock truck intake, manifolds, fuel rails and injectors that you pulled from the junkyard.
Exactly! Your earlier post is proof that you can make big power with minimal investment. Seems like most folks think the only way to do it is to throw $ thousands at a JEGS catalog.

We are in a golden age of horsepower and many don't even realize it.

Reactions: 2 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It's not about money to me, its about getting it right, turbos aren't just throw it together and away you go just like in tbe OP, a disaster in my Imo. Can it be tweak, sure but at what time and cost.

Design an knowledge would have help out big time.

Sure you can throw a basket case turbo system together an make it run on a LS it's been proven even on this thread. Doing a Turbo system on a LS just needs to be more proven and consistent #'s.

There is a trickle effect on putting a turbo system in a vehicle whether it be a g-body or not. Up-grades to frame, rearend, suspension and brakes. You just don't throw 500hp plus at it an away you go. So l guess cost does come into and a sh*t load of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor