LS Fuel sending unit on wagons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So, I’m finding a lot of step-by-steps, “kits” and how-tos on G-Body LS swaps, but a lot of them have the asterisk “*does not work/fit on wagons.”

One of them was the fuel tank sending unit. Aside from the side-mounted filler neck, what are the major differences between the coupe and wagon fuel tanks that you’re aware of?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Wagon tank is way deeper...14.125" wagon, 8.875" coupe/sedan

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There are many work-arounds if a person spends some time researching options. In my case, I'm looking at a 98 truck unit, as it has a built-in fuel well, and the proper pump for my application

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This outfit also has some solutions

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=9_68

You'll still have to figure out baffling, if you want it. I asked Spectre about making a baffled wagon tank, or selling the tank halves unassembled so i could add it...got a firm no to both. That's when i started looking at fuel pump "modules" that include a well/reservoir on the assembly

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You know that I have a whole thread dedicated to this exact task, right?

LS-swapping a wagon, that is.

The part number for the sending unit is in there.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Mine. Link is in the sig.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Looking around, seems like the predominant recommendation for LS wagon swaps is a '94 Chevy Astro TBI sender with a Walbro 255 LPH pump.

• Winner

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looks like you will have to extend the pickup tube, astro tank is about an inch less deep than a wagon tank. Will also need to baffle tank. The 98 Truck pump is the correct depth, and as I said before, has a well on it, but may require a different opening for the pump module ( I have a new tank for the swap in case it needs cutting/welding)

MU1745_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Not saying the other won't work, just good to have options. I like using easily-obtained parts when possible, and stock style pumps should be available pretty much anywhere in the future.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor