Ls install Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would say your series 2 would be harder. You can't buy the complete swap kit with ecu from Holley.
This is true, but I was trying to keep costs minimal. So, even if it was a v8, I still would have modified a factory harness. They're the same in almost every way minus 2 cylinders.

Reactions: 2 users

dft

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2013
Depending on exactly what you want, exactly where you're going to source it, and exactly who is going to do the work for you, you may find yourself blowing right past your $10,000.00 budget. Kep in mind, its not just installing the engine in the car. What transmission do you want to use? Are you going to keep the engine fuel injected? If so, how to you want to have the fuel system set up? How are you going to run the wiring? What type of cooling system will you be using? What type of engine accessory drive will you be using? What type of exhaust system will you be using? Will The power level that you're looking for require other driveline, braking, or suspension changes? The rabbit hole that you're looking into can be very deep. Make sure you research it carefully, before you proceed.
Thanks for the advice guys, I have done some research and like you mentioned the possibilities are endless.
Having the mechanical skills is not my issue it’s the knowledge of knowing what works with what, and to use this instead of that.
I was trying to avoid getting into another big project, but with my budget looks like I’ll be spending long nights reading LS install threads and having to explain to wife why we can’t be parking in the garage anymore lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thanks for the advice guys, I have done some research and like you mentioned the possibilities are endless.
Having the mechanical skills is not my issue it’s the knowledge of knowing what works with what, and to use this instead of that.
I was trying to avoid getting into another big project, but with my budget looks like I’ll be spending long nights reading LS install threads and having to explain to wife why we can’t be parking in the garage anymore lol.

Yeah, do your research or live with an end-product that is a pure disaster.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think what we're trying to point out here, is that an LS swap can be an expensive proposition, and that if you're going to do something like that, you need to be aware of what can happen before you start.
As I mentioned in my previous post, there are other options. What is the powertrain that's in your Monte now? What kind of horsepower are you looking for with an engine swap? How good are the brakes and suspension on your Monte now? People want to do LS swaps because they're popular these days, and there's a certain "wow" factor when you open the hood of a car that's had an LS swap. What are your goals for your Monte? Are you looking for a cruiser? Are you looking to race the car? The answers to those questions will pretty much dictate which direction that you're heading. If you're looking for something that you can have fun with, then there are engine combinations with the earlier style small block Chev, that will give you a car that will be fun to drive. There are a number of 383 small block possibilities out there that will produce good horsepower. Pair that up with a decent overdrive transmission, and the proper rear end gears, and you have something that will put a smile on your face, and should allow you to stay within your budget.
As I said before, just a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
Oh I'll just by a kit, sorry the kits don't include driveline upgrades,plumbing for fuel injection, cooling system mods. You have to want to hang on to your G body because you'll never sell it for what you've invested.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Oh I'll just by a kit, sorry the kits don't include driveline upgrades,plumbing for fuel injection, cooling system mods. You have to want to hang on to your G body because you'll never sell it for what you've invested.
Depending on your engine/trans combo you wont have to upgrade much. A stock 5.3/4.8 wont kill your stock rear unless you abuse it. You can reuse your rad with an electric fan from the junkyard and a drop in sender for an efi car with a walbro 255 will be more than enough to fuel the 5.3, just upgrade your hoses to efi lines. If you kept the 4L60e from the 5.3/4.8 donor you only need to shorten the stock driveshaft.

Even a stock 4.8 is a horsepower upgrade for a G-body. Once it's in and running you can upgrade things as you go. An SBE 4.8 will still handle a 200 shot of Christmas spirit or a healthy turbo. 😉

Reactions: 2 users

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
Depending on your engine/trans combo you wont have to upgrade much. A stock 5.3/4.8 wont kill your stock rear unless you abuse it. You can reuse your rad with an electric fan from the junkyard and a drop in sender for an efi car with a walbro 255 will be more than enough to fuel the 5.3, just upgrade your hoses to efi lines. If you kept the 4L60e from the 5.3/4.8 donor you only need to shorten the stock driveshaft.

Even a stock 4.8 is a horsepower upgrade for a G-body. Once it's in and running you can upgrade things as you go. An SBE 4.8 will still handle a 200 shot of Christmas spirit or a healthy turbo. 😉
Braise your coolant vent to radiator too, stock one-legged rears might handle a 6.0 if you drive like there's an egg on the pedal too. I'd break the egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor