LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Project 81 Monte Build

I am also thinking of reinforcing the lower control arm mounts while the frame is stripped. Has anyone made there own reinforcements for these or is there something I can buy to beef them up some how?

finally got my frame into the workshop this week and replaced my rotted rear rails. I started off by setting the frame up on blocks and leveling it using wood shims. Then took a measurement of the distance between each rear rail and a measurement from the factory weld to the end of each rail to ensure the correct length. finally took a cross measurement to make sure things stay square. I did a side at a time making sure measurements stayed the same. Now time for sand blasting :mrgreen:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

spent the whole weekend sandblasting and painting the frame. I used 7 bags to get everything clean and ready. Next I primed the frame with epoxy primer for its great rust prevention properties on bare metal. Once the primer was dry I painted the frame with Limco single stage paint (gloss Black). After seeing how this turned out im kicking myself for not painting the frame and under side of the 82 monte this way. I used por 15 on the 82 which is great stuff dont get me wrong but I find that it loses its shine after a while (even when its noy exposed to the sun) and brushing it on doesnt look as nice. Oh well now I know for next time 😀

013.jpg

014-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

great job... looks GOOD.... wish i had a house and garage to build my malibu....

kuruption109 said:
wish i had a house and garage to build my malibu....

Im luckier than most I guess in that way. My dad just happens to own a 40 by 90 shop. Im just working in the little barn right now... Space is the most important thing to have when undergoing a project like this.

Its been a while since the last status update on the project but heres whats been done since last time. New energy suspension bushings were installed (polyurethane) as well as bump stops and end links. Solid motor mounts from trans-dapt where mounted for increased strength and for the v8 swap. I installed some softer front spring in the front to improve weight transfer for better launches. Also I used a set of 3 way adjustable drag shocks from competition engineering. Next on the list is to get the 9 inch narrowed and put together the rear suspenson then set up the brakes.

005-3.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

006-4.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

From what I started with, a frame off was the only way to go.

thats looking pretty nice man! i guess a frame off is just necessary sometimes haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor