LS to 4l80e flexplate and TC installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Looks to be the short flange like all the normal stuff now. Reason I ask is to see what the Flexplate looks like. Factory congifuration they are flat and no spacer is needed, then again that depends on what Convertor you have also. If yours was built for a 4L80E in an LS Engine application it will need the flat Flexplate, and fully seated Convertor will be about 3/16" from the Flexplate when installed and spin freely.

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Looks to be the short flange like all the normal stuff now. Reason I ask is to see what the Flexplate looks like. Factory congifuration they are flat and no spacer is needed, then again that depends on what Convertor you have also. If yours was built for a 4L80E in an LS Engine application it will need the flat Flexplate, and fully seated Convertor will be about 3/16" from the Flexplate when installed and spin freely.
Was able to snap this pic at the engine builders shop.

Attachments

• DD618244-5864-4A71-883C-0FA19EC5EC31.jpeg
    DD618244-5864-4A71-883C-0FA19EC5EC31.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup short flange.

My previous post was incorrect, I was thinking of the pilot spacer.

That short flange crank with a flat flexplate you WILL need a spacer between it and the crank, with the longer bolts.

Then again that is factory configuration, have to see what flexplate you get.

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Yup short flange.

My previous post was incorrect, I was thinking of the pilot spacer.

That short flange crank with a flat flexplate you WILL need a spacer between it and the crank, with the longer bolts.

Then again that is factory configuration, have to see what flexplate you get.
This is the flexplate
I got I don’t recall if it came with a spacer.

Attachments

• 9CE76C33-43D9-4464-A729-4B1ABFECB41A.png
    9CE76C33-43D9-4464-A729-4B1ABFECB41A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 70

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You just need to measure to insure you have an 1/8-3/16 of clearance between the converter and flexplate.

I went through this and Built6spdMCSS helped me with it. I made much more of it than was needed. You might have to space the flexplate away from the crank or put a spacer between the engine and trans. Once I discovered the engine to trans spacer, all was resolved in my scenario.

I’d strongly recommend measuring before the engine is in the car.

Edit - forgot to ask - what converter are you using (who did you get it from)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
You just need to measure to insure you have an 1/8-3/16 of clearance between the converter and flexplate.

I went through this and Built6spdMCSS helped me with it. I made much more of it than was needed. You might have to space the flexplate away from the crank or put a spacer between the engine and trans. Once I discovered the engine to trans spacer, all was resolved in my scenario.

I’d strongly recommend measuring before the engine is in the car.

Edit - forgot to ask - what converter are you using (who did you get it from)?
That’s the measurement I was worried about. I’m going to be running a circle d TC

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This is what came with the flexplate.
OK, seeing how that flexplate is made with some really thick bosses around the holes, that is the pilot spacer.

Basically you bolt the flexplate on the back of the crank and put that spacer in the middle and the converter pilot sits in that.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor