LS to 4l80e flexplate and TC installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That’s the measurement I was worried about. I’m going to be running a circle d TC
Do you know how to measure for proper clearance? There is tutorial on Circle D’s website about how to do it as well.

But it can be done on the ground implying engine on a hoist and transmission on a jack. Also, get ready for the 4l80 ‘click, click, boom’ converter install - I HATE having to do that under the car while laying in my back.

Edit : there is a chance that Circle D made the converter crank pilot the correct length if you told them exactly what your application is. If you call them with the converter serial number then they will be able to tell you how it was made.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This is a .125” spacer from ICT billet. Need it for a 200-4R attached to an LS (6.0)
image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
OK, seeing how that flexplate is made with some really thick bosses around the holes, that is the pilot spacer.

Basically you bolt the flexplate on the back of the crank and put that spacer in the middle and the converter pilot sits in that.
Yes. That’s exactly what I did. Builder seems to have messed up a bolt hole a little gonna have to tap it out a bit. Anyways, this is what I have. Should there be a specific space between the FP and the engine? Also between the TC and the trans? Thanks again 💪🏼

Attachments

• 240ACC73-F9EF-4E81-9BDA-2CED4C192772.jpeg
    240ACC73-F9EF-4E81-9BDA-2CED4C192772.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 92759AC2-030E-4DF0-B2CE-2149F128F746.jpeg
    92759AC2-030E-4DF0-B2CE-2149F128F746.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
You just need to measure to insure you have an 1/8-3/16 of clearance between the converter and flexplate.

I went through this and Built6spdMCSS helped me with it. I made much more of it than was needed. You might have to space the flexplate away from the crank or put a spacer between the engine and trans. Once I discovered the engine to trans spacer, all was resolved in my scenario.

I’d strongly recommend measuring before the engine is in the car.

Edit - forgot to ask - what converter are you using (who did you get it from)?
Excuse the dumb question. Does the FP bolt on to the TC? Or am I looking for a measurement between the FP and the engine?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Excuse the dumb question. Does the FP bolt on to the TC? Or am I looking for a measurement between the FP and the engine?

Why would there be bolt holes there then.....🤦‍♂️

I'm going to quote my own post...
If yours was built for a 4L80E in an LS Engine application it will need the flat Flexplate, and fully seated Convertor will be about 3/16" from the Flexplate when installed and spin freely.
So at this point, if you can't derive that this measurement is a check measurement to make sure everything is installed correctly BEFORE you install the bolts bolting up the Converter to the Flexplate.. you should probably have someone else build your car.

I'm done helping, I don't know how many times I can explain the same thing.

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Why would there be bolt holes there then.....🤦‍♂️

I'm going to quote my own post...

So at this point, if you can't derive that this measurement is a check measurement to make sure everything is installed correctly BEFORE you install the bolts bolting up the Converter to the Flexplate.. you should probably have someone else build your car.

I'm done helping, I don't know how many times I can explain the same thing.
maybe im misunderstanding or im just not explaining correctly. Obviously the flaex plate goes there, what i mean is should i be looking for a specific measurement from the flax plate to the tip of the block? basically to see if i need to SHIM the flexplate. Ive gotten this far, im building the rest myself. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor