LSX G-body Swap Write Up

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
War Machine said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
War Machine said:

The 1" back plates are just plates. Bolt them to the side of the block. Then the mounts off of your lets say 305 or 350 the mounts off of them then bolt to the 1 inch back plates on the LS block allowing it to drop in just like a 350.

In short they adapt your SBC clamshell mounts to the LS. No you dont have to buy new pads unless they are broken or wore out.

I got mine from CarShopinc on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-LSX-Engine-S ... b3&vxp=mtr
Oh I see. Ok thank you for clearing that up for me. Now I know what I need to order.

Anytime man

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
So I've been looking at these 1" setback plates. I'm seeing some places say to use them when using a stock (200r4 for example) transmission. If I'm using a 4L80E, do I still use a 1" setback plates or is there a different LSx swap plate?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
War machine ive never ran a 4l60 or 4l80e behind an LS just the th350 so i may not be much help but yes you can get different size plates to compensate for the longer transmission with almost no modding to the cross member or drive shaft. Ive seen them as big as .25 inches to 3 inch plates but as far as im concerned thats for random applications since people like to put them in their fords, BMWs, S10s, v6 cars etc.

But in my experience on a Gbody a 1 inch back plate will put the LS as close as possible to the stock location of a 305 or 350 so you have great clearance for accessories and the firewall making the swap as easy as possible so thats all i like to use

chris1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
What are you guys using for power steering lines? Both the pressure and return,thanks!

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
chris1980 said:
What are you guys using for power steering lines? Both the pressure and return,thanks!

Chris in my experience the gbody hoses will bolt onto the 5.3 truck pump just fine

War Machine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2014
jacobdavis1979 said:
War machine ive never ran a 4l60 or 4l80e behind an LS just the th350 so i may not be much help but yes you can get different size plates to compensate for the longer transmission with almost no modding to the cross member or drive shaft. Ive seen them as big as .25 inches to 3 inch plates but as far as im concerned thats for random applications since people like to put them in their fords, BMWs, S10s, v6 cars etc.

But in my experience on a Gbody a 1 inch back plate will put the LS as close as possible to the stock location of a 305 or 350 so you have great clearance for accessories and the firewall making the swap as easy as possible so thats all i like to use

Cool, thank you. The 4l80e was looking like it was going to be trouble to fit. So I've decided to go with a th400. I ordered 1" setback plates so it should all fit together nicely. Since mine had a 700r4, and now a th400, will I have to get a longer/shorter drive shaft?

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
as i know th400 is same size as 4L80e and u need a shorter driveshaft about both of them ... driveshaft yoke for th400 and 4L80e is different to yoke for thm350/200r4/700r4

maybe u better to think about having a overdrive transmission instead of thinking about fitment issues ...both th400&4L80e are strong/long life transmissions but got light first and second gear ratio , also it depends on your engine setup if u going with carb so 700r4/200r4 is easier to install/maintain and if u are doing it FI i suggest 4l60e

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
i have a 4L80e here for my ls swap but when i see gear ratio and weight (110kg dry) i get more motivation for 4l60e because + less weight and better gear ratio and no need to reflashing ecm and different wiring

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
Okay, I'm jumping right into the fire. Has anyone considered doing a LQ4 or LQ9 swap as a poor man LS1 upgrade. My family is trying to talk me into saving money and time hunting by going with a LQ4 out of a Chevy Suburban 2500 thats been wrecked. I'm barley on the LS1 information level, now I need to research LQ4. Seen that its based on the LS1

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor