LT1 heads on an sbc HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covy Slayer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2009
I am currently swapping my 1977 work truck heads with LT1 heads on my chevy 355 roller motor. I know the first thing everyone is going to say is WHY!...Answer: Im poor and I have some cast iron LT1 heads in the garage, i'll just plug the two unused water ports and they'll be virtually identical to vortec heads as far as flow. The heads I have on there now have 1.52 roller rockers and possibly aftermarket springs. I want to take the springs and roller rockers off of those and put them on the LT1 heads. I was just wondering what i would have to do to make this happen and which pushrods would i use, or if i can even do it at all. I would also like to know if the headers would just bolt right on to the LT1 heads.
Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated! Covy Slayer

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
sell them and get a cheap set of humps or something. making lt1 heads fit on a small block is a hack job imo

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
It can be done, but it's a lot of work. You are better off going to a J/Y and pulling a set of vortec heads off a truck. There is also a cross-flow port that has to be welded.... I believe thats on the back of the head, where the intake manifold seals to it. if you dont weld it up, it will just dump water into your motor.
Theres a guy on thirdgen.org that just did this and he said he wouldnt do it again.
HTH....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor