LT1 in a G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Anyone done this on here? I know it's possible, but Im seriously thinking about trying this project for my 86 Regal. The advantage of better fuel economy and better throttle response is slowly winning me over.

I know the installation will be a b**ch.

My big questions are:

How would I tune the ECM for my 200-4R transmission?
and
How many beers is this going to take? :p

It would be unique if I could pull this off.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
There is a member LT1REGAL who has a gallery and could probably answer most if not all of your questions. As far as the trans, it might be less hassle to use a 4L60E.

LT1REGAL's gallery is on the Photo Homepage.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think you would be better off with an aftermarket ECU and harness, like from Painless performance than using the GM one. It will bolt to your TH2004R, and you could then not throw any codes. Not to mention, the GM ECU uses what is called a Pass Key system which reads a resistor chip in the key and will not allow the engine to run without it. The G body mounts bolt up too, IIRC, but you must use either aftermarket accessory drives, or those from a Corvette as the ones from a F or B body have the A/C compressor too low and it hits the frame. Car Craft did this swap into a white Malibu coupe a few years ago and that's where I remember reading about it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, the LT1 was never designed to be used without A/C in it's accessory drives, so you may have to add an idler pulley to take up the slack, or keep the drivebelt in proper relation to the other pulleys ( proper amount of engagement, IIRC the belt should hit at least 30-40% of the pulley of the accessory being driven)

barncar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Miamisburg, OH
Any good parts house should have idlers for the engine's original application. Dorman P/N 34209 fits 1997 Camaro LT1s and is described as an Air Conditioner Bypass Pulley. Should fit other LT1 applications, since I believe the B-bodies used the same accessory drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor