LT1/LT4 swap into monte carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
Hey guys in the upcoming weeks and months i'm planning on swapping my low-mile crate 350 out for an lt1 or an lt4, I know that since an lt motor is essentially a sbc it will pretty much bolt right it using the same motor mounts and bellhousing. I wanted to know if there were any supporting mods i'd have to do like fuel pump/fuel line or any clearance issues you guys could make me aware of, also if a stock F body or B body wiring harness would be sufficient! thanks guys

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you do a search on this site, montecarloss.com, or maliburacing.com, you should be able to find all the info that you need. In most cases, there are some modifications required to the right front area of the frame to clear the serpentine/accessory drive, as well as possible modifucations to the cooling system to accomodate the reverse flow cooling system of the LT1/LT4 engines. Good luck with your swap.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
clean8485 said:
If you do a search on this site, montecarloss.com, or maliburacing.com, you should be able to find all the info that you need. In most cases, there are some modifications required to the right front area of the frame to clear the serpentine/accessory drive, as well as possible modifucations to the cooling system to accomodate the reverse flow cooling system of the LT1/LT4 engines. Good luck with your swap.
thanks man!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
clean8485 said:

I put an LT1 in an 83' Cutlass and a 96 GM truck. I used the Corvette brackets and AC compressor on the truck to avoid the frame interference mentioned above but later found that the F body set up would fit a G body Cutlass if you beat on the frame a bit with a big hammer. In both cases, I used non computer contolled 700 R4's and Accel engine management system (very expensive). These were done 15 years ago and tuning a factory ECM wasn't as easy as it is now. Using a factory harness and ECM is the way to go. The truck with the Vette motor still runs very strong.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
Anubis said:
clean8485 said:

I put an LT1 in an 83' Cutlass and a 96 GM truck. I used the Corvette brackets and AC compressor on the truck to avoid the frame interference mentioned above but later found that the F body set up would fit a G body Cutlass if you beat on the frame a bit with a big hammer. In both cases, I used non computer contolled 700 R4's and Accel engine management system (very expensive). These were done 15 years ago and tuning a factory ECM wasn't as easy as it is now. Using a factory harness and ECM is the way to go. The truck with the Vette motor still runs very strong.
but they will still bolt straight into a 200r4 right?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
As long as the 200-4R has a dual pattern case, yes. Don't forget that the TV cable will need the proper geometry at the throttle body too. Given the choice, I'd use a 4L60E with a factory ECM and modified factory harness. It's not too big of a chore to prep the OE harness for a swap. The aftermarket harnesses sure are a time saver though. All depends on your budget and comfort level when dealing with wiring. A custom tune isn't necessary but is nice since you can delete things like VATS, AIR, etc. or even convert to speed-density as well as custom tailor your transmission's shift points and firmness.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
DRIVEN said:
As long as the 200-4R has a dual pattern case, yes. Don't forget that the TV cable will need the proper geometry at the throttle body too. Given the choice, I'd use a 4L60E with a factory ECM and modified factory harness. It's not too big of a chore to prep the OE harness for a swap. The aftermarket harnesses sure are a time saver though. All depends on your budget and comfort level when dealing with wiring. A custom tune isn't necessary but is nice since you can delete things like VATS, AIR, etc. or even convert to speed-density as well as custom tailor your transmission's shift points and firmness.
if I used a 4l60E or a 4l85 wouldn't I have to get a driveshaft built to length to fit though?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yup. Different cross member too I think. There's pluses and minuses to either option.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
DRIVEN said:
Yup. Different cross member too I think. There's pluses and minuses to either option.
yeah, I mean i'd love to make the switch but I think im going to for the moment stay with my shitty 200r4

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
For my LT1 transplant, I bought a complete and actually strong running 95 Roadmaster wagon as a transplant candidate....now the problem is....since I've been driving it to make sure its in good mechanical condition, I'm getting attached to the damn thing....lol. It's so grandpa low-key and stout, I'd hate to knock it in the head.....been wanting to tint the glass, lower it and throw some SS Impala wheels on it.....but then the snowball effect will hit and I won't want to tear it up....lol Dang...maybe I'll find a slightly lesser wagon to gut...idk

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor