LT1/LT4 swap into monte carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
LT1 swaps are simple, I've done 4 of them. Mounts are fine, sometimes requires a different a/c bracket or mod but no biggie. Ding the crossmember/k-frame up front to clear the compressor. I always used a frame mount fuel pump if the vehicle was carbed before. You will need a return line if you don't have one, but very simple. By all means use the 4l60e, soooo much simpler to cut 3" from the drive-shaft and and make a flat bracket for the cross member than trying to get the tv cable right on the 2004r and a much better transmission for the application. Just modify a stock harness to get rid of what you don't use and get $150 program done to the pcm.

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
LT1 swap into monte carlo

LT1 Swaps are relatively simple. Like Randy said. I used a 95 Cadillac Fleetwood Same as the B Body cars. Rescued the engine, trans and the wiring harness. Here are some of the things I did on my swap. I used the factory wiring harness from the donor car and removed the wires and circuits that I didn't need. That took me a Sat afternoon and a wiring diagram. I also used the under hood fuse panel and also eliminated the fuses and relays I didn't need. I mounted the PCM using the bracket from the donor car. I removed the charcoal canister from the left front area. purchased a VATS security signal generator to by pass the fuel enable ckt for the PCM. I used the factory fuel pump relay and signal from the PCM. Installed a fuel pump sender for a Grand National to the tank and used a in tank pump for the 95 Camaro so the PSI was correct. A GNX pump will work also. Needs 45-55 psi. Ran plastic fuel lines from the tank to the engine. Shortened the drive shaft 3" (had a local driveshaft place guy do it ) used a Jeggs cross member double hump. Moved the rt engine mount on frame to accept the location i put it in. I wasn't going to use AC so I used the rear compressor support brace hole location on the block for the mount on the engine on the right side. Used the stock radiator and used lower hose from B body cut to fit and the upper hose from a Camaro for the air bleed hose coming from the intake that normally goes to the coolant surge tank on a B body car. Heater hoses were simple cut to fit. Made my trans lines. A/C Dorman by pass pulley. Stock serp belt. Used the cooling fan from the Cadi. wired in to the factory signal from the PCM. Stock Starting CKT and used the pink wire from the distributor for the Ign feed ckt for the PCM and injectors. Shorty headers, Bent my own exhaust to the mufflers, stock tail pipes. I did use the 4L60E trans and recommend that. It was easier for me that way. Heads and cam for a 96 Trans Am. PCM from a 9C1 Police car. It runs really well and is not to radical. Sorry for the long ramble hope this helps. :D

DutchmanZ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2013
LT1's are awesome and way cheaper than LS1's. I used a '95 9C1 Caprice for most of my swap parts. The motor mounts were easier to deal with by just using the factory mounts on the frame and the MC V8 "clam shell" on the pass side of the block. You can check out my build thread on MR.com in my signature.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
gmachinzz said:
For my LT1 transplant, I bought a complete and actually strong running 95 Roadmaster wagon as a transplant candidate....now the problem is....since I've been driving it to make sure its in good mechanical condition, I'm getting attached to the damn thing....lol. It's so grandpa low-key and stout, I'd hate to knock it in the head.....been wanting to tint the glass, lower it and throw some SS Impala wheels on it.....but then the snowball effect will hit and I won't want to tear it up....lol Dang...maybe I'll find a slightly lesser wagon to gut...idk

Dude I had a 96 roadmaster wagon LT1. One of the best drivers I ever had. It had everything. Comfort, size, power, features. Such a well built GM. Mine had a factory oil cooler, twin transmission coolers. How can you beat that? Don't hack that car up, buy a crate motor or find a donor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor