LT1 Malibu wagon fuel tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfreehill

n00b
Nov 22, 2011
Putting an LT1 in my 83 malibu wagon.
Want to use a baffled tank to avoid starvation...
looked at the 85-86 TBI buick regal tanks but they are a different design than the narrow wagon tank.

any suggestions?
thanks,
B

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Use a stock wagon tank and have it sumped out. The sump coming out of bottom of tank will act as a baffle and also keeping positive pressure on outlet line. Then you can run a high pressure external pump.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Can the wagon floorboard be modded to allow the GN tank? Its generally a lot better cheaper easier and safer than doing a sump and having a gravity fed electric pump hanging between your tank and bumper. BTW fwiw the Monte had a 4.3 TBI the Buick had the 3.8 SPFI, sequential port instead of throttle body.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
dogshit said:
Can the wagon floorboard be modded to allow the GN tank? Its generally a lot better cheaper easier and safer than doing a sump and having a gravity fed electric pump hanging between your tank and bumper. BTW fwiw the Monte had a 4.3 TBI the Buick had the 3.8 SPFI, sequential port instead of throttle body.

I dont know about cheaper and easier. I have a total of $150 into having my tank sumped. You can mount the pump in a safe place with very little line running to it you can even use alluminum hard line if you want. On the wagon the back floor is a false floor over another floor. Yea you can cut spare tire hole out and weld it up then you need to patch top floor which is also the part holding bach seat. I dont see that being easier maybe cheaper but will take alot of work to make it look right. And if your worried about sump being hit it hangs down no lowed then spare tire well

bfreehill

n00b
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply's..
yeah I thought about the floor mod for a moment but not worth the loss of the spare tire.

What is involved in the sumped tank?
welding in a new outlet at the bottom?

I thought I might look into small pickup tanks, may be a good fit for side fill and narrow.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
bfreehill said:
Thanks for the reply's..
yeah I thought about the floor mod for a moment but not worth the loss of the spare tire.

What is involved in the sumped tank?
welding in a new outlet at the bottom?

I thought I might look into small pickup tanks, may be a good fit for side fill and narrow.
Buy a sump from jegs or summit. I drained my tank and followed direction on drilling holes. Then i took it to a local radiator repair shop and had them braze it in.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Have been involved in a few of both. At minimum easier safer quieter and less likely to fail. Stealth to, no pump hanging out back for a run through the ditch to rip it out or to get smashed and burn a car in a rear end collision. Seen it happen at National Trail raceway in Columbus to a beautiful GS that was at the back of the line waiting to get off to go to the races. No problem on an old skool drag car conversion but not a fan for the street. Just my opinion.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
dogshit said:
Have been involved in a few of both. At minimum easier safer quieter and less likely to fail. Stealth to, no pump hanging out back for a run through the ditch to rip it out or to get smashed and burn a car in a rear end collision. Seen it happen at National Trail raceway in Columbus to a beautiful GS that was at the back of the line waiting to get off to go to the races. No problem on an old skool drag car conversion but not a fan for the street. Just my opinion.
I see your point but i have a sumped tank on my wagon and nothing hangs anylower then the spare tire hole. With the wagon you can come out of tank and run a alluminum line almost do a 180 bend and put line between tank and tire hole and hide pump on front side of tire well tucked up and away nothing to get hit. The sump on tAnk if done right wont get hit unless he puts it on back bumper because its only like 2" below the bumper. Still higher then the lowest point of spare tire well. Wagon tank sumped hangs down nothing like a regular gbody tank when its sumped. Also if your worried about getting rearended and something happening at this point with a wagon car is destroyed anyway. And i dont see a sump causeing a fire any worse then a normal gas tank. A crushed tank is a crushed tank.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Fair enough. I haven't worked with a wagon. The early 70s GS had a large rear bumper that angled back toward the bottom of the car & the *ss was probably jacked a little. When the car hit him with lower pointed nose it went under the GS taking out the electric pump n filter and immediately igniting it. The whole rear of the Buick and the front of the other burned. I don't think anyone was hurt for sure not the GS owner but I bet both cars were "totalled".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor