LT1 swap questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
I know this going to sound blasphemous but my grandfather decided instead of rebuilding the original 307 in our 442 or finding a bigger olds motor he'd do an LT1 swap. we picked the engine up (aluminum headed) for $100 (friend of my uncles, his old tennant left it when he moved) its all there except pulleys, brackets, flexplate and some small odds and ends. my grandpas having the engine totally rebuilt to the tune of ~425 at the crank. as much as it upsets me that our 442 is getting a chevy swap i know theres nothing i can do. our questions are as follows:
-what radiator would work? i know it has reverse flow cooling
-we'd like it to be carbed (gm performance manifold) and off any form of a computer, is that possible?
-what ignition should be run considering its an optispark and hopefully no computer?
-what headers? will regular SBC headers work? or are they LT1 specific?
-motor mounts, will say a monte carlo's mounts bolt in and work?
-oh yeah, and what about accessory brackets? we'd like to keep the ac as well
i cant think of anything else to ask at the moment, any input would be greatly appreciated... i'm not a chevy guy so maybe these questions are kinda dumb. anyways, thanks -Josh

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
because my grandpas a stuborn pollack and he has NO idea about anything fuel injection related. the motor was the right price and he jumped on it. i understand what youre saying as far as it being a total package but i cant argue with what he wants, its his car..... id rather have the 307 rebuilt but thats just me...

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Carb'd LT1 intake manifold
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/

I don't know if the block has a place for a mechanical fuel pump, so you'll probably have to run an electric one.

I think as long as you get SBC D-port headers you should be fine.

Someone makes a kit to remove the optispark and have a front mounted distributor, but I think it's pretty expensive.

I strongly disagree about the LT1 being one of GM's best engines; I'd consider it one of the worst.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Qdub24 said:
Carb'd LT1 intake manifold
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/

I don't know if the block has a place for a mechanical fuel pump, so you'll probably have to run an electric one.

I think as long as you get SBC D-port headers you should be fine.

Someone makes a kit to remove the optispark and have a front mounted distributor, but I think it's pretty expensive.

I strongly disagree about the LT1 being one of GM's best engines; I'd consider it one of the worst.
People are always afraid of things they don't understand.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
tc1959 said:
People are always afraid of things they don't understand.

I've had three LT1-powered cars. It's a decent engine, but I wouldn't put one in anything that didn't come with it. I wanna put an LS7 in my Caprice, but that's just not feasible with the current state of the economy.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
thanks for the responses, yes we planned on running an electric fuel pump and the GM performance manifold. i'll give hooker headers a call to see what off the shelf stuff will work, we've had good luck with there products. i havent taken this motor apart, nor did i really want to (i have my chevy 400 disassembled already and its in the way along with our olds 350) but it looks like theres a provision in the block for a regular rear mounted distributor, or am i crazy?
as far as opinions on the LT1 being one of the best motors gm produced, id say its arguable but i'll take any olds motor over it but i'm crazy like that :twisted:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
snotrocket71 said:
I know this going to sound blasphemous but my grandfather decided instead of rebuilding the original 307 in our 442 or finding a bigger olds motor he'd do an LT1 swap. we picked the engine up (aluminum headed) for $100 (friend of my uncles, his old tennant left it when he moved) its all there except pulleys, brackets, flexplate and some small odds and ends. my grandpas having the engine totally rebuilt to the tune of ~425 at the crank. as much as it upsets me that our 442 is getting a chevy swap i know theres nothing i can do. our questions are as follows:
-what radiator would work? i know it has reverse flow cooling
With the right hoses, you could use the original radiator. Not sure about dimensions but any LT1 F or B body, even Corvette could probably adapted. I had the inlets/outlets relocated on a couple of the LT1 swaps I did. Another was custom built from scratch.
-we'd like it to be carbed (gm performance manifold) and off any form of a computer, is that possible?
Yes. With a proper LT1 style intake you can use a points style or HEI distributor. There are kits to eliminate the Optispark. As mentioned, there is no provision for a block mounted fuel pump.
-what ignition should be run considering its an optispark and hopefully no computer?
^^See above^^. FWIW there is a kit available that lets you incorporate LS style individual coils. You basically run the entire engine off an LS management system.
-what headers? will regular SBC headers work? or are they LT1 specific?
Any headers that fit a SBC and your specific car will work. They do not need to be LT1 specific.
-motor mounts, will say a monte carlo's mounts bolt in and work?
Yes. You may encounter interference with the factory AC compressor on the passenger side depending on which type, if any, you use.
-oh yeah, and what about accessory brackets? we'd like to keep the ac as well
You can use any LT1 accessory drive. Just make sure you get both sides from the same application. B bodys, F bodys and Corvettes are all different.
i cant think of anything else to ask at the moment, any input would be greatly appreciated... i'm not a chevy guy so maybe these questions are kinda dumb. anyways, thanks -Josh
Unsolicited editorial alert: I know you said that Gramps is stubborn but I think you guys could spend your money better in other ways. The real "value" of the LT1 IS the fuel injection. By removing that and the Optispark, you just have a regular 350. It is widely agreed that the Vortec heads were designed after the LT1s (not reverse though). Standard (gen I) 350s can be had for nothing. A standard rebuild + Vortec heads will be pretty much the same as a carbed LT1 -- just much cheaper. Add up the cost to de-LT1 your engine and I think you'll agree. If you want use the LT1 - use all of it. They really are pretty good engines. Most of the bad wrap the Optispark got was due to poor maintenance and was undeserved. Personally, I think a true 442 should remain stock(ish)...at least Olds powered. Carry on :lol: .

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
DRIVEN said:
Unsolicited editorial alert: I know you said that Gramps is stubborn but I think you guys could spend your money better in other ways. The real "value" of the LT1 IS the fuel injection. By removing that and the Optispark, you just have a regular 350. It is widely agreed that the Vortec heads were designed after the LT1s (not reverse though). Standard (gen I) 350s can be had for nothing. A standard rebuild + Vortec heads will be pretty much the same as a carbed LT1 -- just much cheaper. Add up the cost to de-LT1 your engine and I think you'll agree. If you want use the LT1 - use all of it. They really are pretty good engines. Most of the bad wrap the Optispark got was due to poor maintenance and was undeserved. Personally, I think a true 442 should remain stock(ish)...at least Olds powered. Carry on :lol: .

I concur.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
The stock radiator is fine, just connect the hoses to the correct spots. I've done 4 LT1 swaps, it's a great choice but not if you don't leave the efi on it. The pcm and wiring is relatively simple. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor