LT1 swaps, use LT1 Radiator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Jerome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2013
Yes you can use your original A/G radiator but if you look at the inlet orientation of the correct LT1 (F-body is perfect) radiator you will note the drivers side inlet is much lower than your G/A body inlet. This keeps your reverse flow LT1 submerged in coolant so not to trap air. It may be hard to visulize but as a test simply pressurize you cap of your G/A body radiator with the LT1 vent hose from rear of head open, you will note you are actualy pushing air from radiator thru head and out vent. Simply cracking T-stat vent will not get this air out.

Before doing my LT1 swap in a G-body , I owned the first Impalla SS in WI back in 93, numerous mods I made back then are suddenly coming back to my memory (50yr old mechanic and gearhead). The LT1 can run the higher than normal comp ratio due to the reverse flow, with any air in system you are risking detonation and engine failure. Using a 1995 F-body application there is a 1/2" vent for the head, this way you dont have to buy the preformed upper hose with its 1/2" nipple and less than idea location (radiator nipple is lower, less air than upper hose).

Hope this helps, everything I read and asked prior did not touch on this important note. Its not so worysome in a stock 260-310 hp application but when you start putting 350+ to rear wheels any air in system can be catastrophic at mid track or summer cruise speeds.

84tcutty

n00b
Jul 28, 2014
Hello gentlemen. I need help. I have a 1984 cutlass with the 231 v6 . I recently purchased the engine trans, and computer from a 1996 fleetwood(LT-1) I would like to put the LT-1 package into the cutlass. what other equipment will i need. thanks. william

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
84tcutty said:
Hello gentlemen. I need help. I have a 1984 cutlass with the 231 v6 . I recently purchased the engine trans, and computer from a 1996 fleetwood(LT-1) I would like to put the LT-1 package into the cutlass. what other equipment will i need. thanks. william

I got a plug and play painless LT1 wiring harness for sale and a corvette LT1 bracket to relocate your a/c to the top because the caddy compressor will hit the frame

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 28, 2014
cali 805
Got a 83 Hurst/Olds with and lt1 off a 95 impala any tips before I start hooking up the harness, motor is already installed. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor