Luggage carrier skid strips gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My luggage carrier skid strip gaskets are shot, They seem to be unavailable. Any options or substitutions? I would prefer to keep the whole set up as this is a working car.
P6030232.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
They do seem to dry up and shrink over time. If I still had my old rack, I'd send them to you. I got rid of my rack ages ago.
I'll keep an eye out for you. If you see a B-body wagon in the junkyard, those strips should be the same.
Several years ago I took a few of the stainless runners off of a B-body wagon (for a friend) along with the gaskets. He removed his rack, but wanted the extra strips to help fill the holes.
I wonder if you could substitute the strips with some actual rubber weatherstrip? If I get a brainstorm, I'll chime in again.

I need to replace the strips behind the 1/4 molding trim. They're also all shot. Blake suggested using windshield trim strips from a B-body car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, that's actually the direction I'm going. Junkyard strips would probably be just as bad by now. I'm thinking of some sort of replacement material to use under the strips. I guess a type of plastic strip that could be cut to fit. I have some marine grade rubber, but it's 1/4" thick.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I just pulled off the stainless trim, brushed away all the broken dried out plastic, and put the trim back on without it.

The only down side is that they make a TON of noise going thru the dryer at the car wash now... :lol:

I'm thinking about making a junkyard run in the next week or two, so I'll see if I can find anything worth taking.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I'd like something fresh, that will last, and not get brittle. Hmmm, I wonder if Home Depot has any vinyl moulding or trim that would work?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Well, I'd like something fresh, that will last, and not get brittle. Hmmm, I wonder if Home Depot has any vinyl moulding or trim that would work?
====================================================================================================
Vinyl molding....there's a thought. The 1/4" rubber is definitely too thick. You're right about finding used strips in hope of them being better than what came out of there. That's a crapshoot.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I'd try using a thin strip of rubber. If you can get a truck tire tube. The circumference might be long enough to make them in one piece. Cut them with a metal straight edge and a sharp knife or a dull one if you prefer....

filthymofo77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
tacoma,wa
hey blake442, if you end up going on that junkyard run, would you please keep an eye out for those buick century/olds cutlass cruiser rear bumper fillers please? i only need the end pieces, not the middle section. please and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor